Thursday, February 25, 2010

Just a Slingin'

I bought a Balboa Baby sling yesterday. So far, I like it. It does make my neck a little sore, but I think that's because I haven't learned to relax and trust it yet. That'll take a while. We had another (much cheaper) sling when Caleb was an infant, but I hated it and only used it a couple of times. I decided to try some nicer ones this time around and I feel like it's more secure and definitely better made. It looks like this (no, that's not me or Nola):

We also have the BabyBjorn carrier, which we like. It looks like this (nope, that's not us either):
Rudy used the carrier a lot when Caleb was little. They would use it to go for a walk every morning in the summer. I've used it some with Nola. I wore it to take her to Caleb's Valentine's Day party and it was perfect. I tried using it around the house too and it does the trick, but it's really hard to do anything with her up so high on my chest. It does feel more secure than the sling, so we'll continue to use it when we're out and about, but the sling gives me more flexibility to get things done around the house. It's also easier to hold her when I'm seated using the sling than the carrier - and the sling isn't as hot for me to wear.
I did make a joke about the sling today, saying (on Facebook) that I'm a hemp necklace, a pair of birkenstocks and a bottle of patchouli away from hanging out on Dickson Street with a dog and some hackysack players. Slings seem like such a "hippy mama" thing to use, but whatever it takes!

No comments: