Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Week & Other Stuff

Nola turned 3 weeks old today. In some ways, it's hard to believe that she's ALREADY been here for 3 weeks and in some ways, it's hard to believe that she's ONLY been here for 3 weeks. So, what have we been doing with our time?

We spent last Wednesday (2/10) doing absolutely nothing. I had been wanting a day to do that for the entire 2 weeks since she was born, but something always seemed to come up. Last Wednesday, we finally achieved nothingness...and it was wonderful. Wednesday afternoon, Jan came to visit and spend the night. She brought a bird feeder to paint with Caleb. He loved it!
On Thursday, Jan and I took Nola over to Nana's house for lunch. We enjoyed a long visit there and then came home. Jan left for Ft. Smith just after we got home and it wasn't long before Rudy and Caleb came home from school.

After Nola and I took Caleb to school on Friday, we went to Bella Vista to get the Baby Bjorn carrier that I loaned to my friend Leslie. After that trip, we came home and got some things done around the house, then we went to Caleb's Valentine's Day party at school. He was so excited to have us there and I loved getting to be there without having to rush from school to get there in time. Nola had a major diaper blowout on the way there, so she got to make her first visit to what will soon be her classroom at the daycare. (We used the changing table.) After the party, we all came home and went through Caleb's Valentines. The only one he insisted on keeping was the one from Isabelle, who Rudy and I swear is his preschool girlfriend. When Rudy got home from work, we went to dinner. We were planning to go to Olive Garden because we had a gift card, but Caleb specifically requested "Crabs" (Red Lobster) and the gift card was good there too, so that's where we went. With it being Valentine's Day weekend, there was a 45 minute wait, but Caleb was perfectly content to watch the lobster tank (aka: monsters or hamsters) for most of that time. Nola slept like a champ the whole time we were out.

For Valentine's Day, Rudy got me a ring with Nola's name and birthdate engraved on it, just like the one I have with Caleb's name and birthdate. He offered me the sweetest gift anyone can give the mother of a newborn: an ambien. That ambien would've assured that I would get a complete, uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep. I passed on it, though - knowing how groggy I would be the next day. Instead, I opted to sleep on the couch and Rudy slept in our room with Nola. He did the night duty and I got up with both kids for the morning routine.

On Saturday, we had a visit from Jeremy, Lauren and Bella Pratchard. They were so sweet to bring lunch over and we all enjoyed getting a chance to catch up. Of course, the conversation pretty much centered around our kids, but that's the usual case with parents of young children. Caleb liked having Bella here, even though he's not really sure about having someone play with his toys. After the Pratchards left, Rudy took Caleb to his students' basketball game and Nola and I stayed home.

Sunday morning (Valentine's Day!) was our first attempt at going to church since Nola was born and it was a complete success! We managed to get everyone dressed and ready and out the door on time. We were even a few minutes early! Caleb loved going to children's church and we kept Nola in her carrier in the sanctuary with us. After church, we went to Sam's Club for a cheap lunch and to get some diapers and other essentials. We came home and I worked hard to get Caleb to take a nap while Rudy washed our cars to get the snow grime off of them. Sunday night, Rudy grilled steaks and we had a fabulous Valentine's dinner! I do love my Valentine...

On Monday, Nola went to high school for the first time! Since we've had so many snow days this year, my school district rescheduled some professional development time. The 2 days that I was planning to work to make a little extra money and get my PD hours have turned into 8 afternoon meetings. The good part about that is that I can take Nola with me since the meetings are only an hour and a half long. I bundled her up and took her with me to the first one on Monday, which happened to be at the high school. We got lots of oohs and aahs from my co-workers and I was so glad that she slept through the whole outing! I thought she was going to crank up and get hungry about halfway through, but she calmed down and went back to sleep without incident.

Yesterday was a fun day for Nola and me. Two of my friends from work who are also on maternity leave brought their daughters over and we sat in the floor in my living room, looking at our baby girls and talking about the things that mothers of newborns talk about. It was fun to see the other 2 babies and how interactive they are! They are 11 and 12 weeks old and I know that Nola will be there before I know it! It was sweet of Jenny and Jenna to come over and they both brought wonderful gifts for Nola. Here are the 3 girls: Campbell, Nola & Vivian. It was impossible to get a picture of all 3 of them looking in the general direction of the camera. This was the only one I got with 2 of the 3 even remotely facing the right way. (Yes, I realize that Nola is the only one not wearing a bow. As cute as the other girls are in theirs, I'm perfectly okay with Nola not having one.)

No comments: