Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2 Week Dr Visit

I took Nola to see Dr. Schaefer yesterday for her 2 week visit. I was proud of myself for getting up, getting showered/dressed and getting out of the house with 2 clean and fed children! I'm sure some day that won't be a big deal, but yesterday was the first time I've ever done that. I had Caleb at daycare by 8:15, went to Target to make some returns and purchases and had time to kill before Nola's appointment. I was really impressed with myself.

We got a great report from the doctor. Nola weighed in at 8 lbs, 6 oz - a big gain from last week. Dr. Schaefer was very pleased with that. He said that she looks great and is doing just fine. He did suggest that we start thickening her formula with rice cereal to reduce her spitting up, just in case we're on the front end of her developing reflux, which is common with laryngomalacia. I asked about her infrequent dirty diapers (a mixed blessing) and he said that as long as she doesn't go more than 48 hours without one, she's okay. If she does get to the 48 hour mark, we're supposed to give her a teaspoon of caro syrup. So far, that hasn't been necessary - definitely not today! He warned me that if Nola does get a respiratory infection of any kind, she will sound much worse than most kids would. She's already a noisy breather - I can't imagine if she got a respiratory infection. We may find out soon, though. Caleb has a cold right now and it's next to impossible to keep him from kissing on his little sister. We go back to the doctor again in 2 weeks.

We left the doctor's office in a winter wonderland. Snow fell so hard all day yesterday. It was absolutely beautiful...and it didn't stick on the roads. Perfect! Nola and I ran a few more errands before coming home for a little while. Our housekeeper came at 2:30, so we had to leave again for that. I couldn't come up with anywhere to go, so we went to the bookstore and hung out while Diana and her crew were here. How blessed am I that my biggest problem of the day was figuring out a place to go on a beautiful snowy day with my healthy newborn child while my housekeeper was at my house? God continuously shows me my blessings and he made that abundantly clear to me yesterday.

Rudy's school was closed today, so we were all home together. It has been a great day and we've enjoyed it a lot. School should be open tomorrow, so I get to try my hand at getting out the door again. We don't have anywhere else to go, though, so the challenge will be a little less lofty.

No comments: