Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ch-Ch-Changes (Nola is 3 Weeks old)

We've made some changes around here lately and I'm not just talking about diapers.

Change 1: Formula
We finally ran out of most of the sample formula that we got at the hospital and in the mail, so it was time to buy some on our own. When we went to Sam's on Sunday, we compared the prices on the kinds they carry and we were pleased to find that they have a generic version of the Enfamil that's made for babies with gas and fussiness. We bought that one and so far, it's been fine. Nola didn't have any trouble making the switch, so we're going to keep our fingers crossed that it helps with her gassiness and frequent spitting up. She doesn't spit up enough for us to really think that she has reflux, but she does spit up more than I expect her to. Our pediatrician is watching her closely and doing weight checks to make sure she's gaining appropriately, so I feel okay about it.

Change 2: Bottles
When we started needing to buy baby supplies for Nola, I decided not to reuse the bottles that we had left over from when Caleb was a baby. Since then, research has come out about the presence of BPA (a carcinogen) in plastic. The bottles that we used for Caleb were not BPA-free. While we could've saved a lot of money by just reusing the old bottles, we just couldn't do that in good conscience. If we'd known about it before we used them with Caleb, we would've gotten something different then too. Anyway...I decided to try to get some less expensive bottles and go with something BPA-free, so I chose basic glass Evenflo bottles. If Nola hadn't had gas and spit-up issues, they would've been perfect: dishwasher safe, inexpensive, recyclable, etc. BUT...when we had to start putting rice cereal in her formula, we had to cut the nipples to make the flow faster and that meant lots of spilling from her mouth. In addition, the bottles weren't made to vent air out like we needed them to. Fortunately, we had lots of gift cards to Target, so I did a little research and decided to replace the Avent bottles that we used with Caleb with new ones for Nola. I spent a small fortune on bottles, but I feel better about using something that I know is better for her tummy troubles. I bought a bunch of them, so hopefully, we won't have to buy any more. Plus, the nipples that they came with are a faster flow without us having to slit them.

Change 3: Sleeping
Last night was probably the worst night we've had with Nola since she came home. She's really starting to like her pacifier, but gets so mad when it falls out of her mouth. I spent the majority of last night semi-sleeping right on the edge of my bed with my arm in the pack & play to hold the pacifier in Nola's mouth. It was beyond frustrating. She also has a little nasal congestion, so her laryngomalacia sounds worse than usual. On top of that, she was really gassy last night and kept crying and grunting as a result. At 1:30, Rudy moved to the couch to get some sleep since he had to go to work. I eventually gave up and put Nola in bed with me just so I could replace the pacifier easier. (I was so exhausted when Rudy got up that I actually asked him to take Caleb to daycare, even though it meant that he would have to go way earlier than usual. I just couldn't get dressed and get him there, nor could I get him dressed and both kids out the door. I worried about it all day and finally had to remind myself that he loves school and he can't tell time and really didn't know that he was there a lot earlier than usual.) So...as a result of the night we had last night, I have decided that tonight will be Nola's first night in her crib in her room. I hooked up the baby monitor and put the sleep wedge in the crib. I'm probably going to sleep on the couch to make sure I can get to her quick enough...and to allow Rudy to get some much-needed rest, but she will be sleeping in her bed tonight. I'm praying that it works!

Change 4: Letting Go
This one's not so much a change for Nola as it is for me. It took me 3 weeks, but I finally came to the realization today that I'm on maternity leave for a reason. I'm not home with Nola so that I can get things done around the house. I'm not here so that the house stays spotless. I'm not here so that the laundry hampers stay empty. I'm here to be with Nola, to bond with Nola and to take care of Nola. When she is fussy, I'm here to hold her and calm her. When she's awake and alert, I'm here to talk to her and interact with her. When she is hungry, I'm here to feed her and let her know that her needs will be met. I can do odd jobs when she is sleeping...or not. Sometimes when she is sleeping, I can sleep too. It only took me 3 weeks to come down off of my go-go-go mode that I was in, but I did it. I'm letting go of my get-done mentality and I'm taking firm hold of my time to be with my newborn daughter. Once I came to terms with that, I found that I'm a much better mother not only to Nola, but also to Caleb. I had the energy and the patience to be in the moment with both of them tonight - giving Caleb his bath, playing Memory and putting him to bed. I managed to get some things done today and tonight, but the rest will wait. I have a baby to hold and a preschooler to enjoy.

**Addendum: Nola's umbilical stump came off on Wednesday morning. Yay - no more alcohol swabs and ickiness!!!

No comments: