Monday, January 4, 2010

Snow Days!

We were supposed to go back to school today, but got some unexpected extra time off instead. It snowed about 3 inches on Saturday night/Sunday morning and the roads are terrible. School was cancelled today all over Northwest Arkansas and I think everyone except Fayetteville is closed tomorrow. That means Rudy goes back to work tomorrow, but I have another day off. I'm a little nervous about him driving to work tomorrow, but I know he'll be very careful. (It's the other people out there on the road with him that I worry about!)

I made the decision yesterday not to go out with the boys to play in the snow. I'm too afraid to take a chance on falling and either hurting myself, hurting Nola or ending up on bedrest until she's born. The boys, on the other hand, just HAD to get out there in the cold, wet snow! Sunday afternoon, Rudy took Caleb to a nearby church that has a big hill on its property so they could sled. Caleb LOVED it. I sent the pocket-size camera with them and this is the picture that Rudy brought home. He couldn't take any pictures of Caleb actually sledding because he has to ride in the sled with him.
They went back out again today for a few more trips down the hill. Caleb is going to be so disappointed when the sledding is over for a while. He just loves it. I think he's pretty cute all bundled up too. We put him in a pair of PJ's, a sweatsuit, his carhartt overalls and his big coat so that he stays dry and warm. Today, Rudy bought him some boots and they also took hand warmers. Caleb thought those were awesome! He is just dying to make a snowman, but we've managed to avoid that so far. Rudy did buy carrots at the grocery store yesterday in preparation for it, but they are still in the fridge.

Speaking of the grocery store - Caleb insisted on going to the grocery store with Rudy yesterday. (Think he has a little cabin fever?) While they were there, they saw one of Caleb's friends from daycare. Her name is Isabelle and she is SO CUTE. Oddly, we seem to run into her and her parents everywhere we go. Caleb has also started asking me if Nola's hair will look like Isabelle's. Unlikely, since Isabelle has dark brown hair, but it's cute that he asks. Anyway - Caleb and Isabelle haven't seen each other since before Christmas. According to Rudy, Isabelle came running up to Caleb and started hugging and kissing him in the middle of the store! Rudy and Isabelle's dad talked for a few minutes and then Caleb was just heartbroken to say goodbye to her. Oh my gosh - how cute is that?!? Rudy said that Caleb was almost blushing the whole time and he was just smitten. Wish I had seen it!

This afternoon, I could not stand being in the house any longer. (I hadn't left since we got home from dinner Friday night!) I decided that we had to get out, but didn't want to spend any money, so I called the hospital to see if we could go up for a tour of the labor and delivery unit. I wanted to see where we were going to be and get the lay of the land and I wanted Caleb to get to see it too, so that he would know better what to expect. The nurses weren't too busy, so one of them showed us around and told us what we needed to do when the time comes for us to visit there for real. We saw a delivery room and a postpartum room, got a couple of questions answered and felt a little better about the whole process. Caleb was disappointed because there weren't any babies in the nursery to see, but the nurse showed him the kind of beds that the babies sleep in and told him that when he comes back there will for sure be at least one baby for him to see. Rudy and I were pleased with the facility and told the nurse we'd be seeing her pretty soon! I also found out that they have WiFi at the hospital, so I'll make sure to take my laptop with me like I did when Caleb was born. That way, I can post on Facebook and here on my blog while we're at the hospital.

Here's the 7 day forecast... Anyone want to take bets on how many days we'll be in school this week? I'm already down to no more than 3 for sure. Thursday's not looking so good either with that 70% chance of morning snow. What's not on here is that the windchill Friday morning is supposed to be somewhere around NEGATIVE 25. Even schools in northern states close when the windchill is that low. Can you imagine having kids wait for a bus or walk to school in those temperatures?! Oh, and this is my week for after school OUTSIDE dismissal duty. I'm supposed to stand out there for at least 20 minutes calling kids out from the lobby to get in their cars. I'll be bundled up like the kid from A Christmas Story who can't put his arms down!

No comments: