Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow Day #2

I got in bed last night at 12:15. Caleb started crying at 12:30. When I got to his room, he was (as usual) telling me that his feet hurt. I gave him Tylenol and crawled in bed with him. Neither of us got much sleep last night. He has started talking in his sleep a lot and I could tell that his sleep was very fitful last night. He talked a lot about not being able to find his blocks. He also says "Mama" and "Daddy" in his sleep often. The worst part of sleeping with Caleb is that he insists on sleeping right up next to me. Usually, this isn't a big deal, but with my tossing and turning lately, it's harder than usual to sleep with him. Fortunately, Caleb didn't wake up until 8:15 this morning. Hallelujah!!! When we got up, he wanted to know where Rudy was. I told him that he had gone to work. Caleb immediately grabbed his shoes and told me he was ready to go to school. I called his daycare and found out that they were opening at 10:00. I got dressed and got Caleb dressed so I could take him. I told him multiple times that he didn't have to go to school today, but he insisted every single time that he wanted to see his friends and play. He was so excited when we got there. He literally ran down the hall to his classroom.

I left there and went to the grocery store. The roads weren't horrible, but I sure was glad to get home. I did some slipping and sliding and saw lots of other people doing the same. The worst part was the people who were driving too fast and following too close. Once I got home, I knew I wasn't going back out again.

I came home and started a roast in the crock pot, then got started cleaning the baby gear. I wiped everything down with Clorox wipes and opened the last of the boxes of toys from the attic. As of this minute, everything is washed, dried and ready for Nola. The only thing left to do is install the car seat bases, but that's no emergency. Rudy knows how to do that now, so if we don't have it installed before we go to the hospital, he can do that before we bring her home. Unlike when Caleb was born, we don't feel the need to take it to the fire station to have it installed. They taught us well last time so we can do it ourselves this time.

And, the big news of the day: another snow day tomorrow. Rudy has school, but I don't. It means that I now have 9 conferences to reschedule and a whole lot of paperwork to correct dates on, but there's no reason to complain about it. I know how hard it is to make that decision. I lived with 2 district administrators who used to get up at 4:00 AM and drive the roads of Hot Springs to see if school needed to be closed. I don't envy those who are making the call. More snow is in the forecast for tomorrow evening/night and Thursday morning...

No comments: