Sunday, May 31, 2009

Top 5 Questions

Here are the top 5 questions we've gotten since announcing our pregnancy:

Q: Was it planned?



A: Yes. Rudy and I have talked a lot in the past 3 years about whether or not we wanted to have another child. We decided this winter that we did (do) even though we are concerned about the financial toll, fitting everything/everyone in our house, having a child still at home when we are in our 50's and going through it all again (diapers, sleepless nights, potty training, daycare, ear infections, etc) just as we're feeling like we have all of that behind us - or close to it. Rudy has 2 wonderful brothers and I'm an only child. We weighed the pros and cons of each and we came to the decision that we are made to be a 4 person family. Caleb is made to be a big brother. We will face those other things as they come...just like we always do.

Q: Do you want a boy or a girl?


A: EITHER ONE. If you asked me before I found out I was pregnant, I would've said without hesitation: a boy - 100% absolutely, without a doubt. (After all, we already have all of that boy stuff - it's all blue and it all has baseballs, footballs, dinosaurs and trucks on it. I've mastered changing boy diapers and then taking a boy to the bathroom. I've realized how very much baby boys love their Mamas and how much their Mamas love them.) Now, I want whatever God grants us. Of course, I hope and pray for a healthy baby. Doesn't everyone? However - if we are given a baby with challenges, we'll work through it and somehow thank God for the opportunity. If we are given a boy or a girl, we'll be overjoyed. Whatever He gives us, we'll be grateful - as we already are. BUT...I still don't like pink and I don't think I'll ever be able to do the frou-frou girl stuff like oversized flower headbands, tutus and pink pink pink everything.


Q: How is Caleb feeling about it? OR How do you think Caleb will handle it?

A: Honestly, he doesn't "get it." He'll tell you "I'm gonna be a big brother" with a big smile on his face. He'll say "Mama's gonna have a baby." But, really - he has no idea what that means. His reality for the past 3 years (the only 3 years) has been Mama, Daddy and Caleb. He's not going to understand that we're getting a real live baby in our house until we bring it home. He's not going to realize that it's staying here until we just don't take it back. His world is about to be rocked upside down and he has no idea. We'll get him some books about babies and being a big brother and all of that, but until it really happens, he won't get it...and we won't know how he's going to react until he reacts. He'll be a great big brother once the initial shock and jealousy wear off. He'll be a brother - loving and mean, cruel and kind, protective and punishing. That's what brothers do - right?
Q: Do you have a name picked out? A: Yes and no. We have names that we are considering. We knew before we ever thought about having Caleb that we loved the name Caleb Michael and if we ever had a boy that would be his name. When we found out we were pregnant the first time, we loved the name Amelia Delaney for a girl. If we had had a girl and named her that, we would still love it. However, we now know a few other people who have used Amelia, so we're leaning away from it. Here are the names we like right this minute (they change frequently):
Girls - Camille, Nola, Mae (middle name), Emily, Lauren
Boys - Daniel, Henry (middle name), Nathan, Nate, Alex, Joshua, Jacob
Whatever we name him/her is what he/she will be called. So if we go with Daniel, his name won't be Dan or Danny. If we go with Camille, she won't be called Cami. This is just one of my quirks and YES I see the irony in the fact that I call my husband by a name other than his given name. It's how he introduced himself to me - not my fault. :)





Q: How are you feeling?

A: Okay, so it's not as bad as the cartoon shows...yet. Actually, I can sleep anywhere and I can still walk...if I have the energy to get out of my chair.


Anyway - Thanks for asking. :) I feel okay most of the time. I'm "parking lot tired" (could lay down in a parking lot and go to sleep at any moment) all the time. I have waves of nausea - mostly when I'm hungry or if I get hot. Yes, summer is going to be tough if that keeps up, but at least I'm not "big pregnant" in the summer. That would be miserable for everyone involved. Trust me. Right now, I have a cold that I can't take medicine for. That has added to the exhaustion and has made me feel pretty bad, but it'll pass. I realized last night that my jeans were fitting just a little snug in the waist already. I haven't gained any weight, but everyone assures me that I'll be "popping" much earlier with the second child. I certainly didn't expect that to start already. Thank goodness for the Bella Band and the new version at Target that's much cheaper! Looks like I'll be getting those down from the attic sooner than later.

3 comments:

The Moeller Family said...

So excited for you! That makes 3 people on my blog list that are expecting. Must be in the water!

JS said...

"Of course, I hope and pray for a healthy baby. Doesn't everyone? However - if we are given a baby with challenges, we'll work through it and somehow thank God for the opportunity."

Here, here. If it were to happen, I guarantee you'd thank God for the opportunity -- as goofy as it sounds. In this household we've found happiness to be more important than health.

Here's to a happy, healthy pregnancy and baby (girl, who arrives complete with a pink taffeta dress and matching head bow).

Anonymous said...

Haley,
Just took some time today to read your blog(s). After reading the neat ways you describe your life events, it just makes me more excited for you all and proud to be a part of your lives.
Jan
ps...tell Caleb ain't a man out there that can compete with my little guy.