Wednesday, May 27, 2009

SUPER BIG NEWS

We found out this morning that I am pregnant!


Rudy and I started talking about having another baby this past winter. We looked at the calendar and decided that (God willing), we'd like to have our second child around the time that Caleb turns 4 next spring. (I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit that we wanted to make sure not to have a baby in the fall because of football season and deer season. Yes - we're those people. We just didn't want to have to worry about jostling schedules for birthdays for the next 18 years...plus, I really enjoy going to football games.)


When we decided to have Caleb it took us 6 months to get pregnant. This time, it only took 2 months, so we're a little shocked. According to the online calculator, the due date is February 4th, 2010. I go in to my doctor's office for a "pregnancy confirmation" on June 8th. (see the Calebism story below) Basically, I'll take another pregnancy test at that time. I likely won't even see the doctor. I go back on June 23rd for my first OB appointment.


Since we've been trying to get pregnant, I've been hyperaware of every single sensation in my body. It didn't take much awareness to realize that I am dead-dog tired and tilt-a-whirl nauseous these days. I tried not to get my hopes up and even told myself I was making it all up, but felt so gross yesterday that I decided to stop at Walgreen's and get a test. I took it out of the package and put it in the bathroom last night so that I wouldn't let myself put off taking it this morning. Sure enough...

Rudy knew what I was doing, so he waited to wake Caleb up until the results were in. He was in the living room when I came out of the bathroom with a big grin on my face. We hugged and laughed and had an "oh my gosh" moment before that nagging clock on the wall made me head for the shower and him go get Caleb ready for school.


I had a hard time concentrating at school today. I had so much work to do and so little focus to do it! I texted Monica: "Are you available to hold a leg in February?" since she was the one in the delivery room with us the first time. My phone started ringing immediately and I was greeted with "SHUT UP!!!!!" That's my Mon!


I managed to get some stuff done and made it through 3 IEP meetings. I called Linda, the SLP supervisor for my district. She said she'll forgive me for missing preschool transitions next year. I told a couple of people at school who I knew would be excited for me and I hung around after school until I get a moment alone with my principal to tell her. She was also excited and has already shared the news with the whole staff via her morning e-mail for tomorrow. Rudy has told a couple of people at work. We both announced it on Facebook tonight. I have already gotten 36 comments and 6 wall posts offering congratulations.


After school, I made a marathon trek through WalMart since our pantry and fridge were pretty bare. When I got home, Rudy had taught Caleb to say, "I'm gonna be a big brother!" and "Mama's gonna' have a baby." After deliberating over how to tell our parents/families, we decided to just let Caleb do it. We called Mom and Mr. L. and I told them to both get on the phone because Caleb had something to tell them. He said, "I'm gonna' be a big brother!" Mom said, "You're in deep water?" After Caleb said it again, they got it. They were both so excited and asked about when we found out, when we were due, etc. After dinner, we called Jan and went through the same routine. This was followed by phone calls to all of the grandparents. By the time we were finished, Caleb didn't want to talk about it anymore. :) Interestingly enough, he changed his story almost every time we asked him if the baby would be his sister or his brother.


Caleb wants to name the baby "Jan." This is his answer for everything that he has to name: the classroom goldfish, his stuffed animals, frogs, etc. As much as we love Rudy's mom, Jan, we probably won't be giving that name to the baby. We really don't have names picked out for sure yet. We really like the name Nola Mae for a girl, but that's not set in stone yet. We're stumped on boy names, though. I like Nate and Nathan. Rudy hasn't said what he really likes yet. We used our favorite boy name already. I guess we'll have to think on it. Fortunately, we have some time.


What would this momentous day be without a Calebism to top it all off?

We were sitting at the bar, eating dinner and I was telling Rudy about my doctor appointments.
Me: June 8th is the confirmation appointment. Basically, I'll just do another pee-on-a-stick test and won't even see the doctor.
Caleb: That's not a good choice.
Me: What?
Caleb: It's not a good choice to pee on a stick.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Haha! It's not a good choice.....that's so great! I already told you congratulations but I'll just tell you again I'm so excited for you and Rudy and Caleb!

Katie Anders said...

I like the name Nathan too! My Nathan will be FIVE this June!! I am so happy for you guys!