Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tuesday in Florida

OUCH! Day 3 on the sand brought our first taste of sunburn. I overestimated the shade power of the tent and then discovered the joy of coasting the waves on a boogie board. That equals a burned left shoulder, arm and back of thigh. Fortunately, that's all that got fried. My nose and forehead are a little red, but nothing major. I do, however, have a lovely white stripe across my nose from my sunglasses and a white stripe across each wrist from the SeaBands that I've been wearing 24/7 to help keep my pregnancy nausea in check. I'm not normally a tanner and I usually spend the entire year about the color of a catfish's belly, but on this rare occasion of a trip to the beach, I decided to go with SPF 25 rather than SPF 50, which is what we've been using on Caleb...who does not have a sunburn at all. Mom got too much sun today too, which is something I don't think I've ever seen in my life. Rudy has a pretty deep shade of red going on his back, but seems to think it won't last long. I sure hope he's right. Mr. L., of course, just gets darker. He says he's had a burn before, but I sure haven't ever seen it!

Other than the sunburn, today was great! We were on the beach by 9:15. Caleb readjusted to getting in the water and even handled getting some water in his face today. Every time it happened, he'd say, "Look, Mama! I not crying!" Around noon, Becca, Jimmy, Maddox and Aunt Harolyn showed up to play on the beach with us. They are on vacation in Destin, which is about 45 minutes away. We just couldn't be this close and not get the little boys together. Maddox wasn't so sure about the whole thing, so we came inside and had lunch. Once lunch was over, the boys played inside for a while and Maddox came out of his shell and decided we were alright after all. He and Caleb chased some balls around the living room and laughed and put on a real show. Finally, we all went back out on the beach and both boys played in the sand and then in the water with their parents. We had so much fun and it was good to see them playing together. Becca and I got some great pictures and we'll both get them on Shutterfly ASAP.

After they left, I got a shower and Rudy went back down to read on the beach. Caleb, LaLa and Pops chilled out together and read some of Caleb's books. The rest of the family ended up joining Rudy back on the beach for a while, but I decided I had met my sun quota for the day and stayed on the deck reading in the shade. Rudy made a wonderful dinner of spaghetti, salad and bread for our dinner and we all ate until we were stuffed...again.

Caleb surprised us all tonight by saying he wanted to sleep by himself. He has been sleeping with either me or Pops and LaLa. He decided he wanted to be Mr. Independent tonight. He told us to stay at the table while he went up to put on his PJ's. He made it up the stairs by himself and then called down to Rudy to help him go potty. I give him props for the initiative, even though he couldn't quite pull it off. He did manage to get his PJ's on all by himself...even his shirt and he was so proud! He decided that he wanted Pops to read his bedtime stories to him, because they had such a good time doing that last night, then he actually got into his own bed by himself. That lasted about 30 seconds. The next thing I knew, he was standing at the top of the stairs, asking for a hug. I gave him a hug and asked him where he wanted to sleep. He said, "With Pops and LaLa." I told him to knock on their door. When Pops opened the door, he took off like a shot and jumped in the bed with LaLa. As I type this, they are all 3 sound asleep. Rudy is reading on the deck and I'm trying to stay caught up on this blog so that I don't forget any of the amazing memories that we're making on this trip.

Tomorrow is our only day to stay off the beach. Rudy and Mr.L. are playing golf in Perdido Key. Rudy is super-excited because the course was a PGA tournament course for 10 years. Mom, Caleb and I are going to spend the day in town. We'll hit up the tourist shops and get lunch out somewhere before we come back tomorrow afternoon to meet up with the guys. Hopefully our sunburns will fade tomorrow and we'll be ready for our final full day of sun and sand on Thursday.

No comments: