Thursday, January 1, 2009

Travel, Woo Pig, Big Boy Bed, Christmas Detox, Etc.

We finished out our week in Hot Springs on Sunday (12/28) with what Mom called our "culminating activity." It became the catchphrase for the evening as we walked through the amazing Christmas light display at Garvan Gardens. The lights were beautiful and we all enjoyed being together. Afterwards, we went to Hawg's for pizza and then home to put on our PJ's and get ready for our trip home on Monday. Caleb decided to sleep in the bed with Pops and LaLa, but definitely had a hard time getting to sleep. I could hear the 3 of them giggling and talking for a while, then it got quiet and I assumed they had all gone to sleep. I was two-thirds correct. I was reading on the couch at 11:15, when the door opened and Caleb's head popped out. He said he had to go potty, so we made a quick trip. Once I put him back in the bed and turned off the TV, he was fine. However, I did hear Buzz Lightyear ("To infinity and beyond!") a couple of times. I'm not sure why he insists on sleeping with that hard plastic toy that makes all sorts of noises, but he does.

We loaded up the car to the max and headed home on Monday morning. I thought that maybe the late night would mean that Caleb would sleep in the car, but no dice. He watched movies all the way home. Thank Heavens for that DVD player! We got home around 2:00 and put Caleb down for his nap. I got to work unpacking and Rudy headed to WalMart for some groceries, because our cupboard was bare! We knew when we got home that we were going to be on "Christmas Detox." We had to get Caleb (and ourselves) back in the routines and expectations of being at home and not in holiday mode. Detox has been a challenge for us all. We're hoping the return of our work/school routine next week will help...but we're enjoying what's left of our break!

On Tuesday, Rudy undertook the task of converting Caleb's crib into a toddler bed. When we bought his crib before he was born, it seemed like it would be an eternity before we ever needed that extra railing that came with it. Now, it seems like just yesterday that we were putting him in that crib for the very first time. The bed conversion went fine and Caleb was so excited to get in for his nap all by himself. Unfortunately, he was also excited to get OUT all by himself. Every bedtime and naptime since has been a little bit of a challenge, but they are slowly getting better. The bedding looks great and Caleb loves his new "big boy bed."
As soon as Caleb woke up from his first nap in his new bed, he asked if it was time to go see the Razorbacks. He was right! We went to Fayetteville Tuesday night to see the Hogs play OU. We were a little worried about how the game would turn out, but we were very pleasantly surprised! The Hogs played awesome, won the game and we had a great time! Caleb was a little reticent at first, as he usually is - but came out of his shell before halftime and started dancing and jumping up and down. He even called the Hogs every time the crowd did! I couldn't have been prouder! :) Before the game, we got to see Tusk and have our picture made in front of his trailer. Caleb was excited to have his picture taken with Pork Chop!

Wednesday (New Year's Eve) was busy! We took Rudy's car in to the shop for a minor tune-up and then came back here to take down the Christmas tree. Rudy played with Caleb and kept him out of the way while I boxed and bagged everything up for next year. As sad as it is to have Christmas behind us again, I always enjoy getting the house put back together. When Rudy's car was finished, I took him to get it and then Caleb and I came home. Rudy went on a search for a new Christmas tree storage bag and went to get steaks, twice-baked potatoes and shrimp to cook for dinner. He struck out on the storage bag, so I ended up going out later for that after calling and finding one. While Caleb napped, we hauled all of the Christmas stuff up to the attic (this is when I miss having a basement) and rearranged some stuff up there for easier access. When we came down from the attic, I went on a clean-out binge and finally took care of the guest room storage closet and our office.

While I was doing all of that, Rudy went to Springdale. I decided over the break that I would really like to have a Wii and the Wii Fit software to work out with. I searched all over Benton County, but everyone was completely sold out, so I found one on the internet. The guy who was selling it met Rudy in Springdale yesterday. Since we got it home and set-up, we have had a lot of fun with it and Rudy and I have both commented that the workout on the Fit is great! Tonight, Rudy downloaded 2 games that he played when he was a kid. He was hilarious playing those old games!

When Rudy got back from Springdale, I set up the Wii and he cooked our amazing NYE dinner. The steaks were absolutely fantastic and the shrimp were so yummy! After dinner, we played with the Wii and watched a little football. We were pretty boring as far as New Year's Eve goes. Caleb had a lot of trouble going to sleep because he took a forever-long nap. He came out of his room about 10 times - each time with a different excuse:

  • I need to go pee-pee.
  • I can't find Woody's hat.
  • The shadows are mean.
  • I need to tell you something.
  • I just looking for something.
  • I don't want that nightlight.
  • I want that nightlight.
  • etc, etc, etc

We put him back to bed every time. Finally, he went to sleep. It was well after 10:00. I was in bed by 11:15, watching the annual tape-delayed coverage of Times Square. Rudy was in the recliner playing online poker. Woo-hoo! Party animals!

Today has been good start to the new year. We've watched football, eaten cheese dip, eaten black-eyed pea soup, taken naps, played with the Wii and even exercised some on the Wii. I cleaned out Caleb's closet and toybox to make room for the new stuff that he got for Christmas and to get rid of some things that were settling in the back of the closet and bottom of the toybox - never to be seen again! I learned a vital lesson: don't clean out the toybox when Caleb is in the house. Everything I pulled out of the toybox became his favorite toy ever. I finally managed to get it all boxed up and Rudy put it in the attic while Caleb was sleeping. Caleb's behavior today wasn't so hot because he was tired and grumpy, but we managed to make it through it and he went to bed tonight easier than expected. He only got up 2 or 3 times. :)

Tomorrow is a fun day for me. I'm getting my hair done and going to dinner and movie with Stacy! The boys are going to Nana's for dinner. I can't believe it's Friday already!!!

No comments: