Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Inauguration...a little late

I can't believe I forgot to post about the inauguration. I use this blog partially as a way to remember the events of our lives and how we respond to them. How could I have forgotten to blog about this HUGE event?

I woke up on the morning of the inauguration of President Barack Obama absolutely brimming with hope and excitement. When I got to work, I went to CNN.com and set the live feed. I did, however, go about the business of seeing kids and providing therapy. I just checked in on the feed now and then between groups. I had a break in my schedule from 10:00-12:00, partially due to one of my kids being absent. I went immediately to the school lobby to watch on a real TV since the internet feed was so slow and breaking up/freezing now and then. I was standing in the lobby with my Kleenex in hand and huge grin on my face when one of my co-workers said, "That would be the perfect place for a terrorist attack." I whipped around, astonished, and all I could do was just say her name like she was crazy in the head. She responded, "What? It'll happen in the next 4 years." I took a deep breath and said, "I'm going to have to go somewhere else." I then went to the library to watch, only to be greeted by 25 talkative 2nd graders. Strike 2. Finally, I went in one of the 1st grade classrooms, where the teacher was watching as closely as I wanted to and was encouraging her students to watch as well. If they chose not to watch, they were at least quiet. I pulled up a chair and sat almost gape-mouthed for the next hour. I grinned and cried and wondered what was up with Aretha's hat. I soaked up every single minute of it. I hung on every word of the inaugural address and felt the pride of the new President's wife and family as they looked at him. I got goosebumps when the TV showed the diversity (and enormity) of the crowd and how they were all so joined together, despite their differences. It was an amazing experience. I loved every second of it.

Once the address was over, I went quickly to the teacher's lounge to make my lunch, then returned to the lobby in time to see the benediction and departure of the dignitaries. I was standing there in amazement when one of my co-workers asked me how I was doing. I told her I was doing great. She replied with what I can only describe as a grunt. A few minutes later, she passed by again and said (where only I could hear her), "You should know I'm an extremely conservative Republican and a little bit of a racist." WHAT?!?! I could not believe that she said that. Who in their right mind would say that to a co-worker? I didn't even know how to respond. I could only say, "I don't think I would have told anyone that." I was stunned and amazed, but didn't let it deflate my excitement of the day. By the time I got home, I was exhausted from all the grinning and walking on cloud nine. :) I watched some of the coverage of the parade and then went to bed.

It was an amazing day and (I believe) a turning point for our country and our world. I am thrilled and excited and hopeful for the future. I can't wait to see what this administration has in store for us.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I can't believe someone actually admitted to someone else at work that they were racist! Who does that????????????