Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Potty Mouth?

Caleb has become quite the parrot lately. He repeats everything we say, especially when we say something with emphasis. For instance, last weekend, he surprised Memmie by repeating her when she called Rudy a "fart."

We were eating dinner tonight and I don't even remember what I was talking about, but I said, "dadgummit." Caleb looked up at me with those big blue eyes and said, "Mama, did you say G*d***it?" (This is a word that I NEVER use!) I quickly deduced that he was (hopefully) trying to say what I said, but just mixed up the sounds, like he says "boosegumps" and "filey faces." Rather than overreact at his mispronunciation of dadgummit, I told him the correct way to pronounce it. He then repeated it the correct way and we went on with dinner. No harm, no foul, no mouth washed out with soap. Lesson learned. Parental snickering mostly concealed.

1 comment:

NOLA Photoblog said...

We're there...Bella's favorite phrase now is "What the hell!"
We hear it every day now. I just hope the daycare does't.