Saturday, January 24, 2009

Weekend Update

As I write this, our house is quiet. Caleb is napping and Rudy graciously volunteered to make the weekly trek to the grocery store. Other than the lulling sound of the dryer, it is truly quiet. I love it and I'm going to take advantage of it to update the goings and doings of the Villines family.

As usual, our days have been filled with work and daycare. We've fallen back into the routine pretty easily. Now we're 3 weeks post-vacation and we're definitely on the downhill slide to summer! It's hard to believe that, considering how cold it is outside right now, though.

Last Friday, we went to Sherwood to spend the weekend with Memmie and Poppie. We had a great visit. On Saturday morning, we took Caleb over to Little Rock to The Wonder Place. He had a grand old time and was the only kid there with 4 adults trailing after him. His favorite part was the sand table. He would've stayed there all day if we had let him. Memmie and Poppie were amazed that a place like that existed. It just fueled my fire even more. Since the first time we went to Little Bitty City, I've been dreaming of opening a place like that in NWA. (If only I had the guts to abandon my teacher retirement, my stable income and my guaranteed benefits...) All that aside, Caleb did have a great time and we got home in time for his nap, which I had to be a part of to get him to lay down long enough to sleep. Once he finally dozed off, I took Memmie to Target to get some things that we both needed. Saturday night, Memmie made a wonderful home-cooked meal of meatloaf and vegetables. She was beside herself because Rudy and I are both trying so hard to lose weight and we didn't gorge ourselves at her house for the first time ever. The food is always so good - it's hard not to just make yourself sick on it. After dinner, Caleb played with his toys and the grown-ups played a couple of games of aggravation (our usual tradition). Caleb even laid on the couch and watched us for a while as though he knew how important it was for us to get to do that. Sunday morning, we went to church and lunch and then we hit the road for home. At lunch, we managed to surprise Poppie with a birthday sundae and Caleb sang to him. It was great!

Last night, we took Rudy's grandmother to dinner. After our wonderful meal at Carrabba's, we all came back here. We decided to show her the Wii, which completely amazed her! She even tried it out by bowling. I have pictures, but they aren't uploaded yet...

As I said, Rudy and I have been working hard to lose some weight. We started 3 weeks ago - January 3rd. Our incentive is our beach trip to Florida this June, but we're also just trying to be healthier. We've both been working out at least 5 days a week and we're holding each other accountable on Weight Watchers. Rudy has already lost a noticeable amount of weight. He joined the gym offered by his school district and is using the treadmill and weights. My school offers a personal trainer to a group of teachers 2 days a week and I've been taking advantage of that. In addition, we're both using the Wii Fit a few days a week. I haven't lost what I had expected to by now, but I have lost some and I'm working hard at it. I absolutely refuse to give up. I've set some small goals along the way to my big goal so that it isn't so overwhelming. I thought I had met my first small goal last week, but then inexplicably gained 2 pounds in one day after not eating any more than usual and working out really hard. This is why WW recommends that you only weigh once a week. The daily thing is frustrating!

Update on Caleb (since I know that's why you're here):
  • He sleeps in his bed by himself most nights. Sometimes he does get up and make his way to our room. We really try to put him back in his bed, but if it's the middle of the night we usually take him to the guest bed. (I know, I know!)
  • He has only had one potty accident at school since we started back after the break. That one accident happened at naptime, so that's not really a big deal. He did have an accident at Memmie and Poppie's on Saturday, but I think that was because we were out of his routine. It's to be expected.
  • He is talking up a storm and cracking us up everyday.
  • He loves the Wii and knows that we use it to exercise and play games. He likes to play the soccer balance game, the penguin balance game and the shooting game. His favorite part is creating Miis. We have made Miis for Jan, Mom, Mr. L, Memmie, Poppie and Grandma. Caleb can tell you who all of them are.
  • Two weekends ago, we switched our office into a playroom for him. This meant selling our rarely-used elliptical machine, moving our library table/desk in the bedroom and moving our filing cabinet into our closet. That was kind of a pain, but it has been great to have that playroom. Caleb calls it his officeroom. He has his Little People table, his easel, a TV/DVD, his puzzles and all of his cars and trucks in one place. It is wonderful!
  • Caleb has also developed a new fascination with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He loves to watch it in the mornings while sitting on our bed. He holds his Mickey Mouse stuffed animal the whole time. I heard him the other day saying, "Look, Mickey Mouse, it's you! It's you!" He knows the names of all of the characters (even Pluto) and talks about them all the way to school in the mornings.
  • He loves his friends and his teachers at school and looks forward to going there every day. That makes me so happy! He talks about them all the time. He even told Rudy that Jaiden pushed him on the playground. We're starting to hear a lot about what everyone does at school. He especially loves it when someone has a birthday party! We've heard about Meredith and Levi's birthdays for a few weeks now. One day last week we were halfway home from school when he started freaking out because he forgot to tell Mrs. Natalie bye. I told him that would have to wait until the next day, because we weren't going back. I didn't think he'd go for it, but he seemed to understand. Whew...

My quiet time is over. The garage door just went up. Rudy is home with groceries that need to be put away.

No comments: