Friday, December 26, 2008

Santa Cometh...And Santa Goeth Away

Another Christmas has come and gone. Whew. I had no idea that Christmas with a 2 1/2 year old would be as exhilarating and as exhausting as it was. But, yes - it was fun and wonderful and this will be a LONG post...a lot has happened in just 2 days.

We left for Hot Springs on Tuesday morning after spending Monday running those last minute errands. When we left home Tuesday morning, our area was under a "winter weather advisory." Nothing was falling from the sky and it was well over freezing, so we headed out as planned. It was a good thing we left when we did. Apparently, we hit the right spots at just the right times. It started to rain shortly after we left home. By the time we got to Mountainburg, it was 28 degrees and the roads were starting to get a little slick. Rudy made the wise decision to take I-40 to Little Rock and then go from there to Hot Springs. We've tried to travel Hwy 71 from Ft. Smith to Y City and Hwy 270 from Y City Hot Springs in inclement weather before and it was a disaster. We weren't willing to take any chances this year. The roads were a little slick off and on and we passed by a couple of sand/salt trucks on the way. We were listening to the radio and heard that after we passed through, it got really nasty on 540. With some steady and smart driving and a cup of Starbucks coffee, Rudy got us to Hot Springs without the slightest mishap.

When we got to Hot Springs, we were all pretty wiped out. I took a nap. Everyone else visited and Caleb played. I enjoyed some glorious "Mama's house sleep." The absence of responsibility just put me right on out.

On Christmas Eve (Wednesday), Aunt Harolyn stopped by to see us (read: Caleb). Then we somehow got Caleb down for a nap. After his nap, we opened our Christmas presents. Mom and Mr. L. gave me a great assortment of things that I can use: socks, razor cartridges, hair products, a scarf, some gloves, a Chick-Fil-A card, my annual snowbaby, a cool art print of a giraffe, a vegetable chopper and some much-appreciated money. Rudy got some socks, some workout clothes, some PJ's, a bottle of cologne, a season set of The Office, a Chick-Fil-A card and also some much-appreciated money. They also gave us a sign for our house that says ARKANSAS - Home is where your story begins. Caleb opened gift after gift! In addition to the easel that was delivered to our house, he got some clothes, a Cars case, a build-a-book, some trucks, a doctor kit and a cooking kit. Mr. L's sister, Joyce, also gave him a puzzle and a hand-crafted wooden helicopter. We gave Mom a food processor (she asked for it!) and I gave her the Mamma Mia DVD. We gave Mr. L. a big frying pan and a meat thermometer. Caleb gave Pops a framed picture from their fun time at deer camp. We also gave them (and all of Caleb's grandparents and great-grandparents) the 3rd annual photobook of Caleb's year.

Once the gifts were opened and the thank-you hugs given, we all got ready to go to the Lockes for what has now become known as "the good food." Our annual Christmas dinner at Pepapa and Anna Joyce's is amazing. We always have prime rib with mushrooms, twice baked potatoes, green bean bundles and AJ's amazing ice cream with hot fudge dessert. This year, Caleb decided that he REALLY liked his Aunt Kim and wanted to sit near her. So - we moved his new Cars table into the dining room where he could join the "big people" and be near Kim. Rudy , Julie, Chris and I stayed in the kitchen at the "kids' table." With Caleb in the other room, Rudy and I managed to enjoy every bite of our food completely. With exceptionally full tummies, we moved into the living room after dinner to open gifts. Caleb got a movie, 3 books and a limited series framed print for his room from Aunt Harolyn. Jimmy and Kim gave him a "super fast race car" (Caleb's words, not mine). Julie and Chris gave him a personalized CD and some candy. Pepapa and Anna Joyce gave him the Cars table and chairs set, a big stuffed frog and an awesome puzzle case with some puzzles in it. They also gave Rudy and I some money and I got a very cool purse for Razorback games! Aunt Harolyn cracked me up this year by giving me one of my old books - a Family Circus book. In it, I had practiced writing my name in cursive and dated it 1983. I was seven. We don't exchange gifts between the adults at the Locke family Christmas, but we do play Dirty Santa. As usual, that was the source of some laughs! Surprisingly, most everyone was on their best behavior this year. There weren't a lot of steals. We had a great time seeing everyone at Christmas. We really missed the Spencers and look forward to seeing them next year...hopefully. Also - it was an especially joyous Christmas this year, because Kim's cancer is GONE! Last year, she was just dealing with her diagnosis and the past year has been an exceptionally trying one for her and all of us who love her. We are so very blessed to know that she is healthy this year...and despite what she would tell you - her hair is growing back very cute! Praise be to God for Kim and for all of our family!

We came home from the Lockes and nearly crashed into the bed. Rudy slept with Caleb. Mom and I got everything ready for Christmas morning. (wink, wink) I had a hard time sleeping that night. I was so afraid I would miss seeing Caleb wake up to find Santa's gifts. I ended up getting up way before him. Finally, I woke he and Rudy up. Initially, Caleb had a hard time waking up. Then I said, "Santa came to see you." He popped up out of that bed like burnt toast! Once I got him out of bed, he ran to the Christmas tree and was so excited to find his presents from Santa! He got the Buzz Lightyear and Woody dolls that he asked for as well as a talking Lightning McQueen, a Cars case that launches the cars across the floor and a magnetic letter puzzle. He was so excited! He was a little confused about why Santa wasn't still there but got over it pretty quickly. After the excitement of the Santa gifts waned a little, we ate a wonderful breakfast and then got ready to drive to Sherwood.

We made it to Memmie and Poppie's mid-morning on Christmas Day. Memmie and Poppie have lived in their house longer than I have been alive. It has been a LONG time since I have seen that many people there. Roll call: Memmie, Poppie, Mary, Ron, Hannah, Chris, Rebecca, Beth, Tomoe, Rudy, Haley, Caleb. Plus - we had the added fun of seeing Dewey! (Hannah and Chris brought him with them from Louisville.) At first, Caleb was his usual reserved self, then he came out of his shell and had a blast! He loved playing on the Wii and quickly took to Beth, calling her his friend. Anytime he couldn't see her, he asked, "Where my friend?" After an amazingly good traditional Christmas lunch, we all sat around and visited for a while. We haven't seen Mary and Ron's family since I was pregnant with Caleb! When Caleb started getting a little restless with all of the chatting, we moved into the living room to open yet another round of Christmas presents. Memmie and Poppie had asked me to get a gift for Caleb from them, so I got him a scooter. I made sure to bring his helmet, so he could try it out while we were there. He loved it! they gave us a very generous gift of money as well. We gave them an electronic indoor/outdoor thermometer. They are just so hard to buy for!!! Mary and Ron and the girls also gifted us with homemade stockings (Hannah-the-seamstress!), books, paint-your-own dinosaurs, a Diego backpack, a beautiful piece of pottery, a Razorback hat (for me!) and a Razorback magic 8 ball (for Rudy). Caleb started getting very tired and very cranky earlier than we expected. We decided that before he could meltdown, we'd say our goodbyes and head for Hot Springs. It takes a while to say goodbye to that many people, but we managed and headed out the door. Once we got back to the house, the crankiness continued until Caleb finally said, "I want to go night night." I took that cue quickly and he and I headed for bed.

Once we were snuggled up in the bed, Caleb decided that he wanted to talk to me. I thoroughly enjoyed my Christmas night conversation with my sweet little boy. He talked all about everything that we had done and seen and all of the people he loves. It was a time that I will treasure for a very long time. I thought a lot of how Mary must have felt looking at her little boy on Christmas night and wondering what the world had in store for Him. I cannot imagine her joy or her pain. It is amazing that mothers see the miracle that their child is and can be, but hers was even so much more. What an amazing way for me to spend a little part of Christmas night.

I would be remiss not to mention that Rudy turned 33 on Christmas Day! It is always so important to me to make sure that his birthday doesn't go unnoticed. I love birthdays so much and his often gets pushed to the back burner because everyone is wrapped up in Christmas. Rudy asked for tickets to see one of his favorite comedians, so that's what I gave him for his birthday. He is always so humble about his birthday and graciously accepts everyone's wishes with, "Thank you and Merry Christmas to you." I don't know that I could be so gracious. So...HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUDY! Thank you for unselfishly spending your special day with my family. I love you.

This morning, when we woke up, Rudy and Mr. L. were gone to deer camp. They will be back on Sunday. Rudy looks forward to this every year. He can put away his thoughts of work and anything else and just sit around the fire with the guys, hope for a deer and relax.

Mom, Caleb and I went to Little Rock today in search of some new bedding for Caleb. When we get home, we're taking the front rail off of Caleb's bed. We searched high and low and couldn't find anything short of buying a whole crib set. No thanks and no way! The trip was a bust, other than our fantastic (and slightly nostalgic) lunch at Buffalo Grill. By the time we left our last store, Caleb was falling out in the floor throwing a fit. He was tired and wanted to go home. If you see me on the news sometime soon, don't be surprised. I swatted Caleb's rear-end in the parking lot of Burlington Coat Factory in front of God and everybody. Yep - sure did. There was nothing that 1-2-3 Magic was going to do to adjust that child's attitude at that point and there weren't enough M&M's in the whole city of Little Rock to bribe him to behave. I was pleased as punch when he asked to watch a movie on the way home. He didn't say a single word from Markham St. to Mom's house. Hallelujah!

When we got home, Mom called a lady who has made several things for her in the past and asked her how quickly she could make a comforter for a crib. She said if we got the material to her tomorrow, she can have it by the time we leave on Monday. I left immediately for Hobby Lobby and picked out some great fabric. Mom is taking it over there in the morning! Again...hallelujah! When I got home from Hobby Lobby, Caleb met me at the door and said, "LaLa made me cry." I looked at Mom expecting her to say that she had to get on to him and he melted down again. She said, "No, Caleb, you made LaLa cry." Uh-oh. Come to find out, he pushed his limits quite a few times while I was gone. Through a series of events, Mom eventually pretended that she was crying. She said it didn't phase the little stinker. I'm sure glad we have a few days at home before we have to go back to school/work. It's going to take an act of Congress to get this kid back in his routine and back to his usual easygoing self. I put him to bed tonight and when I went in to check on him, he was laying flat on his back, arms out and he was honest-to-goodness snoring - not breathing heavy - SNORING. I just laughed and covered him up, hoping he'll get a good night's sleep.

Oh...speaking of Caleb crying - he fell this morning and smacked his cheekbone on (get ready...) the toilet. He had a fight with the toilet and the toilet won! He looks like he took a good left hook to his right cheek. He has a complete circle right on the apple of his cheek that is bright red and is about the size of a silver dollar. I hope he doesn't wake up in the morning with a black eye.

We have no more big plans for our trip to Hot Springs. We're expecting some visitors tomorrow here at the house and planning to stay in and relax as much as we can. We don't want a repeat of today - the little monster needs to rest.

So, Santa, thanks for everything. You've done your job for the year. Now, go away and let us get back to normal. Well, almost...we can certainly hold off on going back to work!

No comments: