Sunday, December 6, 2009

Heartfelt Prayers

I have 2 very specific prayers on my heart tonight and can't help but share them.

First, Rudy and I are praying for the Crumby family. James and Kim Crumby were acquaintances of ours in college. Rudy knew them from band and I knew them through Rudy. We haven't seen them since then, but through Facebook and other avenues, we have learned about their daughter, Hannah Grace. In the fall, Hannah Grace was diagnosed very suddenly with leukemia. She became very sick very fast and is now at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock. Recently, James and Kim had to make the heart-wrenching decision to take Hannah Grace off of her ventilator. The ventilator was removed this morning. As of this evening, Hannah Grace is still hanging in there, but her family knows that it is only a matter of time before Jesus calls her home to Heaven. You can read Kim's journal online (www.caringbridge.org/visit/hannahgracecrumby), but I warn you - you will need lots of tissues. Rudy and I have both cried reading her story and Kim's amazing words of faith and strength. Tonight I pray that God will continue to give Kim that same strength as the darkest days are ahead of her.

My second prayer tonight is for my grandparents. My grandmother has been fighting an infection in her mouth since September. Her doctor has given her several rounds of antibiotics and she has even had some teeth removed, but nothing has helped. Last week, she went back to the doctor and he biopsied the site of the infection. As a result of the biopsy, she went to the hospital for a CT scan. The doctor at the hospital diagnosed her with osteomyelitis - an infection of the bone. Tomorrow, she is going to a wound center for further consultation. My grandfather called me Friday night. I always know something is up when he calls instead of her. When I asked what was going on, he said, "Memmie's in bad shape." I choked back the lump in my throat and managed to ask the details -writing down everything he said. He told me that she is barely able to eat and has dropped to 88 pounds. She is supplementing with Ensure, but continues to lose weight. She is in a lot of pain as well. I asked him if he wanted me to come down to Little Rock on Monday to go with him to the appointment and he answered with some relief, "I would sure like that." So, I am taking the day off work tomorrow to go with Memmie and Poppie to the doctor. I'll leave in the morning after I drop Caleb at daycare and plan to come home after the appointment. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive, so that's a lot of time in the car for this pregnant girl, but it's my responsibility and my desire to be with them, so I'll go. I hope to have good news and some straight answers after seeing the doctor.

Please pray for the Crumbys tonight and in the days and weeks to come. Hug your children extra tight in the morning...just because you can.
And pray for my grandparents - that she will get some relief and some good news at the doctor tomorrow.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Oh, Hailey, I'll be praying for your grandmother. I hope she will find some answers to what is causing her such pain! When I was pregnant with Carter, my grandmother, too, called me when I was 7 months pregnant and needed me to come, ASAP, to Texarkana for a day trip when my grandfather was in the hospital for some support and guidance. It's tough but you are such a light to them. You are a wonderful granddaughter and they are blessed to have you!