Tuesday, December 1, 2009

30 Week OB Appointment

Today was my 30 week OB appointment. I have gained a total of 18 pounds. Dr. Ford said that everything is fine. She checked Nola's heartrate, which was 142. However, Nola made her work for it - she had the hardest time finding her heart. I was actually starting to get a little worried because it took so long. If I wasn't feeling almost constant movement, I would've been freaked out! I did take in a list of things to talk/ask about, which is very different for me - because I haven't had a lot of questions this time around.


1. I started my first topic with the disclaimer that I am not completely crazy (just hormonal and stressed) and asked Dr. Ford to take another look at the ultrasound pictures that I brought with me to assure me that I am, indeed, having a baby girl. I have had a recurring dream - sometimes 2 or 3 times a night - that we are in the delivery room and Dr. Ford hands me a baby boy. This has started to worry me. She looked at the pictures that I brought with me and said, "Yep, she's a girl. There's no doubt."


2. Also on the subject of the ultrasound pictures...I asked Dr. Ford for some assurance that everything is okay with Nola's craniofacial development. The ultrasound picture that we have of her face has a big gaping hole in her skull. She assured me that it's just the angle of the transducer and there's nothing to worry about.

(I'm pretty sure she was starting to think I was completely loony at this point.)


3. I asked about some medication that I took before my pregnancy that I'd like to start taking again. She said it was fine.


4. I asked about taking a tour of the hospital. She said that I could call and schedule that with the labor/delivery unit. I told her that I really didn't even know where it was in the hospital and she said it was probably a good idea to know where we are supposed to go. (Yeah - she was thinking I'm either crazy or a little slow on the uptake.)


5. I asked about Christmas travel. I was a little nervous about asking about this one, but needed to know now in case we needed to make other plans. She winced at the idea of me traveling 4 hours away when I'm 35 weeks pregnant, but reluctantly agreed - as long as we promise not to stay too long and not to do too much while I'm there. I assured her that my family does not live in rural places and that I have easy access to a hospital anywhere I go. She still said to come home as soon as possible. So, the plan is to go to Little Rock on the 26th for Christmas with the Hatch family, to Hot Springs on the 27th for Christmas with the Locke family and we'll be home no later than the 29th. Surely Nola won't decide to make her entrance during that 4 day time span. (fingers crossed...legs too)

I left there with an appointment for 2 weeks from today and a little more peace of mind than I went in with.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Seriously, Nola's facial pic looks muck like baby girl M and I, too, freaked out by how alien it looked to me. I don't remember Carter's being so grotesque looking. But, the doctor reassured me that everything was looking great. I know she is going to be beautiful!