Monday, December 14, 2009

Comic Relief Calebisms

Just because sometimes you need a little comic relief in stressful times...

Mom and Mr.L. came up this past Saturday. Mom wanted to see our Christmas decorations and they offered to watch Caleb for us so we could go to the Schmidts' annual party. They only spent one night, but it was so good to have them here while Rudy was at the hospital on Saturday. That afternoon, Caleb decided he would play Santa. He picked up Mr.L's Christmas present that I had wrapped on Friday night and took it to him. He said, "Here, Pops, I have a prize for you. It's 2 shirts." I guess Pops won't be getting any surprises for Christmas this year...

Caleb has also picked up a few phrases from his new favorite TV show, Phineas and Ferb. He chooses to use them at the funniest times. His most common ones are "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" and "I know what we're going to do today!" The best part about it is that it took me a couple of times before I realized that he was quoting the show. I thought he had just come up with that all on his own.

Caleb has been very attached to me for about a week now. He wants to be with me all the time. He wants to sit in my lap, give me hugs, hold my hand and basically not leave my side. He even randomly tells me he loves me. He will stop everything he's doing and say, "I love you, Mama." This is not normal behavior. He's usually much more attached to his Daddy than me. Even though it can get overwhelming sometimes, I'm soaking up as much of it as I can, because I know it won't last. We're not sure if it's that he's realizing that the baby is coming soon or if he's just feeling protective of me because of the baby or if it's just a phase he's going through all on his own. Whatever it is...the boy is currently in love with his Mama. Case in point: Yesterday was a tough day for us. Neither of us felt that great and Rudy wasn't home, so we spent a lot of time watching TV, playing and trying to entertain ourselves without overdoing it. We made all of the footprint/handprint reindeer drawings and colored all of the pictures I could handle. We played cars, tried to watch the Polar Express (man, that movie is long!) and worked puzzles. I offered for Caleb to go outside in the afternoon when the sun was shining, but he said he didn't want to because he didn't feel good. Caleb asked me if I felt bad too and I told him I had a headache. He said, "It's okay, Mama, I'll take care of you." So stinkin' sweet...



And one last funny one:
Just this afternoon when I picked him up from school I told Caleb that we needed to run some errands. His response: "Can we run on the sidewalk so the cars won't hit us?" He should know better than to think I would actually run somewhere!

No comments: