Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gestational Diabetes?

I had my 27 week OB appointment on 11/12. It was the one I've been dreading. I had to take the gestational diabetes screening test. This is really not a big deal, except that I failed the screening last time and had to come back for the full-blown 3 hour needlefest. I narrowly passed that test and was determined not to have gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy. I was nervous about this one because I have noticed that I often don't feel so hot about 30 minutes after I eat. I even had a day when I just might have had a pumpkin muffin with cream cheese icing and hot chocolate for breakfast and thought I was going to die because I felt so awful. It was no fun - sweating, dizzy, heart racing, etc. I had all but convinced myself that I was bound to fail this screening and have to do the "big test" again only to find out that I was forbidden to eat sweets for the rest of my pregnancy including Thanksgiving and Christmas! I drank the super-sugary drink that I was given and an hour later, was in the lab having my blood drawn.

After my lab appointment, I saw Dr. Ford, who told me that "everything looks fine" just like she always does. She asked if I had any questions, I said no and we went our separate ways.

That was on a Thursday. I carried my phone around on Friday, anticipating the call from the lab. No call. I carried my phone around on Monday and Tuesday, anticipating the call. No call. On Wednesday, I called the office. The nurse pulled up my record and said that my screening results were within normal limits. HALLELLUJAH - pass the ice cream! The next week, I got a letter in the mail saying the same thing and did yet another happy dance.

Now I'm just watching myself to make sure I don't overindulge in sweets and trying to balance things with some protein. When I start to feel a little woozy, I eat some meat, cheese or peanut butter and I'm usually back to normal within a short time. I've tried to switch to Splenda-sweetened tea instead of drinking my normal one Coke per day. Just knowing that I don't HAVE to give up the sweets makes self-imposed moderation better. Plus - it means that Nola is more likely to be healthy and less likely to be gigantic. Both of these things bode well for me...and her.

No comments: