Sunday, November 1, 2009

Flu Shot Frustration

With all of the media hype about how bad the flu is this year and how lethally dangerous it can be for pregnant women and young children, I decided to do whatever it takes to get flu shots (including H1N1) for my family.

I called Caleb's pediatrician's office and my general practitioner's office multiple times for a couple of weeks. IF I got an answer, I was on hold each time for 15 minutes or more before I had to hang up because I can only call a medical office during my work day and I don't have that much time to spend on hold. When I finally did get through to Caleb's ped's office, they told me that my only option for him would be to get his shot at one of the flu clinics and they may or may not have the H1N1 vaccine.

The day before I went to my OB appointment in October, I called to see if I would be able to get a flu shot. The receptionist told me that they had them in stock. I went in to my appointment planning to get my shot. They gave the last one to the person before me. Aaagghh! The nurse told me that she heard that they had them at the Target pharmacy and that there wasn't usually a long line like at the walk-in clinic at Wal Mart. After my appointment, I called Target and was assured that they had plenty and I could get one. I took Caleb with me because Rudy was teaching lessons. I asked about getting a shot for him too, but apparently there is an AR law that pharmacies can't give vaccinations to children under 18. Lovely. I did manage to get my shot, though. It cost me $24.

Rudy and Caleb went to Wellquest on the following Friday (after I called to see if they had shots available) and got their shots for $37 each. Actually, they got the Flumist, which is supposed to be more effective. They both got nasty colds afterwards, but no flu!

So, we were halfway through the vaccination process for 2009's crazy flu season! I made it my personal mission to find out how to get the elusive H1N1 vaccines. The AR Dept of Health decided that only pregnant women, children 6 mos-4yrs and up to 18 with other health concerns would be given the vaccine. That ruled out Rudy, but left Caleb and I eligible. (I wasn't happy about not being able to get it for everyone, though! Doesn't it put Caleb and I at risk if Rudy can't get the shot? Hmmm...) After multiple calls to my OB's office, Caleb's pediatrician's office and my general practitioner's office, I determined that the only way we'd be able to get the vaccine would be to go to one of the free flu shot clinics being put on by the health department. Free? Good! During the school day? Bad! (I muttered several angry things about it being criminal to be a working parent and how messed up the system has become when we can't protect our families, etc, etc.) After talking to my school nurse, I determined that I can get my vaccination at one of the school-sponsored clinics and because I'm pregnant, they will even let me go earlier than my school's scheduled day, which isn't until 11/17. Hallelujah! So, that just leaves Caleb - the person I'm most interested in protecting at this point.

After a few moments of near panic, I decided that I had only one choice: Mom and Mr. L. I hate to ask for help from them. Actually, I'm not really fond of asking for help from anyone. This time, I had no choice. I can't afford to take off work to take Caleb to a flu clinic that is only open from 8-6 and will likely run out of the needed vaccine before school hours are over. I also couldn't afford to go to it myself and expose myself to that many people who could be sick. Rudy couldn't take off work either. I sucked up my pride and called Mom. They were planning to come up this past Friday anyway, so I asked if there was any possibility that they could come earlier in the day to take Caleb to get his shot. Of course, they agreed to do it. They get up before the roosters anyway, so they were in the car on Friday morning at about 5:30. (Yes, really.)

I called the health department on Thursday to see what paperwork would be needed since Mom/Mr. L. don't have guardianship of Caleb. Apparently, they didn't need it. I went ahead and typed up a letter giving them my permission to sign anything and copied Caleb's insurance card and birth certificate. (I wasn't taking any chances.) Sometime during the night, it dawned on me that the same form that I filled out for the school clinic would likely be the form that they would have to fill out for the community clinic. When I got to school on Friday, I asked the nurse for a blank copy and filled it out for Caleb. I gave it to Mom and Mr L when they came by the school to get my car (since it had a carseat). They went to get Caleb at daycare and then went to the clinic. The line was wrapped around the building. Mom decided to take the form that I had filled out up to the person at the entrance to make sure she had the necessary paperwork. After being passed off to several other people, a lady told her to transfer the answers to another form in black ink and come back to see her. Mom did what the lady said and they took Caleb straight in to get his H1N1 mist. They were there for about 30 minutes!!! Mom called me and said they were finished and headed back to Caleb's school. I couldn't believe it! Everyone I had talked to and seen on the news had been in line after line for anywhere from an hour to 4 hours to get those shots! Woo hoo! Score one for Mama and LaLa!

Now it's just me that needs a shot. I'm getting it this week. Hallelujah! This flu shot frustration is almost over...I hope.

No comments: