Monday, November 2, 2009

The Fine Line of Tackiness

When we had Caleb, I was honestly humbled by the baby showers that we were given. It seemed like everyone we knew wanted to help us celebrate our new baby boy. I registered for everything that I was told we would need and tried to make sure that most of the things we chose were relatively gender neutral so that we would be able to use them again if we had a second baby and it turned out to be a girl. I was always taught that you have baby showers for the first baby, but not for the second (or any others). That's not to say that all babies shouldn't be celebrated, but I've always done that on a slightly lesser scale - more along the lines of individual gifts from those that are close to you rather than an actual baby shower. It never even crossed my mind to register for gifts for Nola or that anyone would bring up having a shower for us. Now people have started to ask what kinds of things we want or need for Nola. It has taken me a little by surprise and has gotten me to thinking about what we really do need. Of course, we need basic essentials (diapers, wipes, etc) and baby girl clothes since everything we currently have is some shade of blue or green and most things have a car, truck, dinosaur or sports ball on it. There are a few other things that we need or want that have either come on the market in the past 3 years or that we have but need a second one for Nola.

After asking for opinions from my Facebook friends, I've decided to walk the fine line of tackiness and post a wishlist for Nola here on my blog. (Most everyone said it was just fine, by the way.) The list is over on the right sidebar. Here's my justification to myself: People have asked and those who aren't interested can ignore it. It's not like I just decided to make up a list and distribute it to everyone I know. Nobody is expected to get us anything at all. I'm just using this as a central place to keep a list and share it with those who ask for it.

No comments: