Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nola @ One Month

Nola turned one month old on Saturday! It's incredibly hard to believe that she's been with us for a whole month. So, what is Nola like at 1 month? Well...
  • As of 2/22, her weight is 9 lbs, 6.5 ozs.
  • She takes a 4 oz bottle every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
  • She is still wearing newborn diapers, but only until we run out of them. We have about half of a package and then we'll switch to size ones.
  • She's still wearing newborn clothes too, but some of them are getting a little snug. Her 0-3 mos clothes are really still too big - especially the pants. The shirts are big, but at least they don't fall off when I pick her up. I put long-sleeved onesies under some of her short sleeved tops to make them more seasonally appropriate.
  • She sleeps a lot. She's only awake for a total of about an hour or two a day.
  • She is sleeping a little better at night. We've had a couple of nights when I put her in her bed at 10:30 PM and she only woke up to eat once before 6:00 AM. Other nights, I usually do 2 feedings between 10:00 and 6:00. I am tired - very very tired, but I know this too shall pass.
  • The pesky laryngomalacia continues to stick around. Nola is just plain old loud most of the time. She breathes loud and she cries loud. She audibly sucks in a lot of air, which leads to lots of gas and more spitting up than I'd like. I can always bet on the fact that she's going to spit up if I can't get her to burp after she eats. I've started leaving bibs on her most of the time, just to make clean up a little easier. We are going to the ENT for a follow-up next week.
  • I've taken to calling Nola my "grumpopotamus." She is a pretty fussy kiddo. I hate to even say that because I have so many friends who have battled colic with their kids and they would trade Nola's fussiness for that any day. But...my sweet girl goes from calm one minute to royally mad the very next and she lets me know all about it. She cried so hard yesterday in the car that she actually bursted a blood vessel in her eye. I'm not even kidding!
  • In addition to being "grumpopotamus," one of Nola's other nicknames is "Sis." I've never liked to hear families call their kids "sissy" or "bubba" because they sound so country, but "Sis" just seems to fit for Nola. I also call her "Chicky Babe" and "Little Miss" a lot. Occasionally, she gets to be "Noisy Nelly" or "Weezy." I don't even know why I use these nicknames, I just do.

So, that's Nola Mae at one month of age. I sure am enjoying being home with her. I cherish my snuggle time and the ability to calm her when she cries. I'll never regret a single minute of it.

No comments: