Wednesday, March 10, 2010

ENT Appointment

Today started out a little rough. Caleb woke up with a leaky pull-up that had soaked his PJ pants and my bed since he slept with Rudy last night. After I changed that, fixed my hair and make-up and got dressed, I fed Nola. She rewarded me with a dirty diaper and then rewarded me for changing the dirty diaper by spitting up all over my arm as I was putting clean clothes on her. I was just shy of crawling back under the covers when the humor of it all hit me. I stepped back and looked at the situation and just laughed with gratitude for the experience.

When I took Caleb to school, I got a little choked up. We pulled up just as his class was headed down to the playground. I got Caleb out of the car - his new booster seat is WONDERFUL because he can work the seatbelt on his own - and walked him over to join his class. He gave me a kiss and a hug and grabbed Ms. Elizabeth's hand. Off he went without a second glance. I love it when he's in big kid mode, but in a little way it breaks my heart. (I don't love it when he's in whiny "I can't do it!" mode.)

I took Nola to see Dr. Black today for a 6 week follow-up on her laryngomalacia. She managed to throw a holy fit right when we got there. Somehow our arrival at places always coincides with the time when she needs to be fed. I got her fed, filled out a health history on a 6 week old (um...she doesn't have a health history), and was sent to an exam room. When Dr. Black came in, he took a look at her and said she was doing great. He said that as long as she keeps gaining weight, she's fine. That's because she's not using all of her calories to struggle to breathe. He also said that as long as she has a strong cry, she's fine. That's because her vocal folds are able to touch - meaning no mass between them. Trust me - her cry is quite strong. We're supposed to go back in 6 weeks if needed. I made the appointment, but I'll cancel it if she's doing fine. She doesn't seem too worried about it...


No comments: