Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Furniture Shopping

We learned a lesson last week. When Caleb wakes up, he needs to be sent immediately to the bathroom to remove his pull-up. He only wears them at night, but for some reason, it doesn't bother him one bit for it to be soaking wet. He will continue to wear them (and use them) until we tell him to take them off. He was sitting in the recliner with Rudy last week when Rudy suddenly noticed that the chair was wet. Caleb had soaked his pull-up to the point that it leaked all over the recliner. We used every trick in the book to clean it. No dice. It now smells like a public bathroom in an old building that has been cleaned repeatedly with very strong cleaner. It stinks. We finally decided to throw in the towel and buy a new chair. While we were at it, we decided to give in and replace our couch too. We spent all day Sunday shopping for furniture. After several stores, we ended up deciding on these pieces at Ashley:


We got the couch, the chair and the ottoman. They should be here in about 3 weeks.

Of course, no family adventure would be complete without a Caleb story. Bless his heart, he was a trooper. We shopped for furniture for hours. He trucked along with us and didn't get fussy until we had pushed him to his absolute max. When he got really whiny, I realized that I still had an ace up my sleeve. I pulled up some Phineas & Ferb on YouTube on my phone and he was entertained for another good 30-45 minutes. That's not the good part, though. Sometime during the day, Caleb had to go "big boy bathroom" and in his ultimate quest for independence, he didn't get completely clean. As a result, he started complaining about his bottom hurting. I told him that the next store we went in, I would take him in the bathroom and clean him up. When we walked into the store, I asked the salesperson where the restroom was. He pointed me in the right direction and Caleb told him (pretty loudly), "I didn't wipe my bottom very good." I thought Rudy was going to either implode or melt into the floor from embarrassment.

No comments: