Sunday, November 16, 2008

Our Weekend

We had a great weekend! On Friday, I had professional development at school and ended the day with "personal development" at a local restaurant with several co-workers. It was the first time I've done anything socially with any of my co-workers at my new school, so that was nice. Rudy and Caleb met me there and we had dinner together, came home and I was sound asleep by 9:00.

On Saturday morning, Rudy went hunting in the beautiful Ozark mountains. It's a little nerve-wracking when he does that because he's out there by himself with very limited cell phone service and last spring he saw some bears out there. He didn't see any bears this time, but did see several deer. The bucks were too small to be legal and he missed a shot at a doe. He enjoyed his time out there, though.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I was also nervous about my day alone with Caleb. That sounds crazy, but with the way things have been going lately, I was just afraid it was going to be a stressful day of tantrums. However, my little man was an angel! We had an amazing day together! I think God must have known I needed a reprieve from the terrible twos because it was one of the best days I can remember having with Caleb in a long time. We stayed in because it was very cold outside, but we played and worked puzzles and read books all morning. He was even cooperative in the bathtub!

When Rudy got home from hunting, I packed up my scrapbook stuff and met Stacy at SSD for a crop night. It was so relaxing to be there visiting with my friend, being creative and working on some really fun scrapbook pages. I was excited about what I got done. I'm caught up to Caleb's birthday party, which means I'm just over 6 months behind. I don't know if I'll ever be completely caught up again! Maybe this summer? Stacy and I left SSD at about 11:30 and I climbed in bed around midnight. I had trouble turning my brain off and watched TV for a while before finally falling asleep.

Caleb woke up at some point during the night and Rudy went to get him. He slept with him in the guest bed for a while and then came in and woke me up about 6:00. His neck was hurting again, so he took a pain pill and I took over with Caleb, who I THOUGHT would go back to sleep since it was so early. No such luck - he was rip-roaring ready to go! I finally convinced him to watch TV while I dozed a little on the couch for about an hour. He didn't quite get the concept of letting me sleep. It seemed like every few minutes, he would come over and talk to me or put a puzzle on me or dump out a bucket of Matchbox cars. I finally threw in the towel and got up to make breakfast. We played a little after breakfast and then watched Toy Story. It was the first time he's ever really made it all the way through that one and he loved Buzz Lightyear, but the mean kid (Sid) really scared him. He climbed up in my lap for a snuggle when Sid started being mean to the toys. After the movie, I tried to get him to eat some lunch, but he just wanted milk. He's very congested right now and I can imagine that he wasn't very hungry. He drank his milk and then when I told him it was time to go potty before nap, he ran from me. He went in his room, hid in the corner and wet his pants. So much for that little angel from yesterday, right?!? I changed him pretty quickly and put him down for his nap with some books. I got in bed with a book and read for a little while before taking a wonderfully long nap.

A funny note:
Caleb discovered the magic of the washing machine yesterday. He carried his potty stool into the laundry room, climbed up on it and kept opening the washer lid. He would open it and say, "Those are my underpants!" laugh hysterically and then close the lid. A few seconds later, he would open it and say, "I see my shirt! It has water!" I had to finally distract him so that the washer could finish its job! It was one of those moments where you see the world through a toddler's eyes and you're amazed right along with him.

No comments: