Friday, October 10, 2008

Surgery Success

Caleb did great in his surgery this morning! We got there at 7:30 and waited just a little while before we were called back for the prep work. It was hard to turn him over to a stranger and know that she was going to put him under. I distracted myself with a Southern Living magazine and Rudy read the paper. It wasn't long before Dr. Lee showed up at the door and called us back to the consult room. He said that Caleb's ears looked perfect and that he had no problem removing the adenoids. The nurse came to get Rudy and I from the waiting room just as Caleb was waking up. I held him for about an hour while he slowly emerged from his anesthesia fog. As he woke up, he started to talk a little more. He seemed to feel a little queasy, but wouldn't take any crackers. We made it home right around 10:00 and I held Caleb while Rudy made us a late breakfast. Caleb wouldn't touch his breakfast, but Rudy and I were starving! After breakfast, I took Caleb into my bed and we watched a little TV and rested while Rudy went to get some groceries. At one point, Caleb said, "Mama I want medicine my mouth." I guessed that his throat must be hurting, so I gave him a dose of the painkiller that the doctor prescribed. Since then, he's been much more like himself. He is singing and playing and watching Sesame Street. The only thing I've been able to get him to eat is ice cream and fruit snacks. I told him to enjoy it now, because tomorrow he's back on "real" food. Speaking of that...I got some wrong information yesterday. This morning, when I asked the doctor about a note for soft foods only at daycare next week, he looked at me like I was crazy. He said that with adenoids, there's no need to restrict his diet. He can have whatever he wants. Our only restriction is to keep him from playing too rough for a few days. I think we can manage!

No comments: