Thursday, October 9, 2008

I'm Haley Villines and I approve this message.

I've never been into politics. Most of it goes over my head or bores me to tears. This election has my attention, though. I believe that it truly is the most important one I've ever experienced. This time around, I'm adding a category to my list of demographics: parent. Now I vote as a Christian, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a woman, an educator, an advocate for those who can't advocate for themselves and a moderate environmentalist - among other things.

My decision has been made for a long time. I'm voting for Barack Obama. I supported Hillary Clinton in the primaries. I was disappointed when she didn't win. Now, though, I fully support the Obama/Biden campaign. I'm not completely thrilled with the choice of Biden for VP, but I'm comfortable with it. I understand it. I like his story, his ideas and his message - I just don't always like his tactics. He's a little too typical politician for my taste.

I support what the candidates stand for and I support the promise that I not only hear, but also FEEL when I read/watch/learn about their platform. I'm not fooled by politicians. I know there is a lot of junk under the surface and I know that promises are empty, but I believe that it is in the best interest of my family and my country to vote for the Democratic ticket this year. I hesitate to use the word "change" because I think it has lost its meaning in the melee of election season, but it fits. I'm ready for a change. Enough is enough.

A while back, I subscribed to get e-mail updates from the Obama/Biden campaign. I delete most of them without opening them, because I simply don't have the time to read them all. This one came today and caught my attention. The purpose was to encourage people to send an e-mail to their families to "educate" and spark conversation about Obama. I'm not into forwarding e-mails. Like me, most people aren't interested in reading forwards. However...you're here, so you must be in a reading mood. I've copied and pasted some of the sample e-mail into this post (below) so that maybe someone who is undecided will feel the excitement that I feel about this election.
I've been thinking a lot about the election and how important it is to our family.
I've decided to support Barack Obama, and wanted to let you know why.
There are many rumors floating around out there, so here's some information about Barack's positions on things I know are important to you:
-- Economy:
http://my.barackobama.com/EconomyFlyer
-- Health Care:
http://my.barackobama.com/HealthcareFlyer
-- Education:
http://my.barackobama.com/EducationFlyer

More information Obama's position regarding a variety of issues can be found here.
Watch Obama's speech from the Democratic convention here.
See a video about who Barack Obama is, where he comes from, and what his values are.

No comments: