Thursday, October 2, 2008

Extra-Curricular Activities

I am in a dilemma. Maybe you can help.

Caleb's school is offering a class (for an extra fee, of course) called Jitterbugs. The class is basically a "dance" class, but it is co-ed and geared toward both boys and girls. The class would take place during the day at Caleb's school. We would only see the results when they have a RECITAL. (That word brings back some ugly memories!) I wouldn't even consider it, but apparently, they had a trial class today and Caleb's teacher told me that he loved it! He was one of the only ones to stay in "his spot" and apparently, that 's a big deal. He loved the music (not a surprise) and loved learning the movements to the songs. He even told me himself that he did a fire truck dance. Plus...he got a Skittle and a stamp on his hand.

My dilemma is that if Caleb is going to participate in some sort of extra activity, I'd like to be a part of it. We really enjoyed going to Gymboree this summer. I've been debating going back for a while now, but we needed to iron out some financial wrinkles first. BUT...he loved Jitterbugs. Then, there's the other factor. My cousin (3rd or 4th...I'm not sure) has opened The Little Gym in Rogers. I'm totally open to supporting my family member, but there is a waiting list for the only evening class for Caleb's age group. Hmmm...

Here's how I make decisions:

Jitterbugs:
Pros - Caleb loved the trial class and it's the least expensive option
Cons - Rudy and I don't get to be a part of it, except to attend the recital

Gymboree Music Class:
Pros - Rudy and/or I could go with Caleb; no sign-up fee; seems to be a lot like Jitterbugs, but without the recital
Cons - it's on Monday nights and it's not age-specific (could be anywhere from 6 mos-5 years)

Gymboree Play Class:
Pros - Rudy and/or I could go with Caleb; no sign-up fee; Caleb is familiar with the class structure
Cons - it's not age-specific and it doesn't start until 6:30 on Wednesdays

The Little Gym:
Pros - Rudy and/or I could go with Caleb; it would support my family member who owns it; it is focused on teaching new physical skills and it includes music
Cons - there is a waiting list for the only class we can go to; it's the most expensive option

What do you think? Vote over there on the right underneath that adorable picture of Caleb...
Oh, and I reserve the right to veto. It's my motherly prerogative.

No comments: