Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Strange Day

When we went to bed last night, Rudy said, "If Caleb wakes up during the night, please wake me up and I'll take care of him." I didn't argue one bit. When I heard Caleb crying at 4:00, I promptly tapped Rudy on the shoulder. From that point until I woke up at 8:15, I slept harder than I've slept in a long time. I woke up rested and without a headache for the first time in 2 weeks. I just knew it was going to be a great day! I came into the living room and found Caleb and Rudy playing, which is one of my favorite things to see. Rudy then offered to make breakfast, but needed a few ingredients so he headed to Walmart to get them. Caleb and I stayed home and played while he was gone. When Rudy got back, he made Ziploc omelets for us. They tasted much better than they looked and we all enjoyed having breakfast together. After breakfast, Rudy and I were talking about our plan for the day. Caleb was doing so great that we even considered going to the pumpkin patch, but decided to wait another day to make sure he was up to it. Rudy suggested that he take Caleb to the park for a little bit so that I could have some time by myself to scrapbook or do whatever I wanted. Again, I didn't argue. I quickly got out my scrapbook table and went to work. The boys came home from the park and played in the living room for a while. While I was cropping, I noticed that my headache had come back, but didn't think much about it. I've actually gotten kind of used to it lately. However, this didn't stop at a headache. I started feeling really gross pretty quickly. About 11:00, I called for Rudy and he came and walked me to our room where I laid down on the bed to try to make the world stop spinning. I wasn't sleepy or tired, just very dizzy and out of sorts. I covered my head with the blanket and before I knew it, I was sound asleep. I woke up at 3:00, feeling better, but still groggy.

Rudy told me that Caleb had never really taken a nap and that they were both pretty tired. Apparently, Caleb threw both of his blankets, his pillow and his stuffed animals out of his bed and reached over to pull a basket off of his dresser and into his bed. He had partially taken off his shirt and had managed to put his arm through the neckhole. The basket that he grabbed was full of things that we use off and on - diaper cream, Vicks cream, a thermometer, etc. It's a miracle that he didn't smear the creams all over the walls.

Rudy and I each managed to take showers before the Razorback game started at 4:00. While we were watching the game, I noticed that Caleb felt really warm, so I took his temperature. Sure enough, he was running a fever, which was expected after his surgery yesterday. I gave him some Tylenol and he continued to play. Rudy grilled burgers and made fried potatoes for us for dinner and they were yummy. After we ate, I still didn't feel so great, so I took my temperature and found that I, too, had a fever. Yuck. I took some Tylenol and hit the recliner to watch the rest of the game. While we watched the game, Caleb pretended to play football in the living room. He took his little football and crouched down. Then he would say, "hut!" and take off running in a circle around the couch. Eventually, he would fall down and say, "I tackled!" It was pretty stinkin' funny!

Caleb surprised me today. I took my contacts out and put on my glasses, then came into the living room where he was playing. He rarely sees me in my glasses, so he said, "What's that?" I said, "Mama's glasses." His response: "Oh, you beautiful." It made my day. I knew that I didn't look beautiful to anyone but my little boy. I hadn't fixed my hair after my shower, wasn't wearing makeup and had on my awful glasses, but Caleb thought I was beautiful and that's all that counts.

On a happy note, the Hogs managed to pull off their first SEC win of the year against Auburn tonight. Hallelujah Hog! I honestly didn't think we'd win another game all year. It's been a tough season so far and it's far from over.

What a day!

No comments: