Thursday, June 24, 2010

Taxing My Memory

I can't believe I haven't posted a "real" update since Memorial Day. Since this blog serves as my calendar when I'm scrapbooking (a rare occurrence lately), I'm going to do my best to remember what's been going on...

The week beginning with Memorial Day was the longest short week of work ever. I really think it was a mind game, because if it hadn't been for the snow days, we would've been out for summer. Alas, those snow days were glorious, so we did the time to make them up. The week itself was pretty normal around here with work and daycare. I did spend my days at work doing a ton of computer work and conferences instead of seeing kids, which made the time go by much slower than usual.

Our weekend was pretty relaxed. Rudy had a band commitment on Saturday morning, but Saturday afternoon, we had absolutely no plans! It was wonderful. We went to Sam's and WalMart and stocked the pantry and cabinets. Saturday night, Rudy and Caleb camped out in the backyard. It was so awesome to watch them get it all set up, then bid me farewell to sleep outside. They were living in luxury, despite their outdoor locale. They set up Rudy's new tent (which wouldn't fit in our living room), complete with a radio to listen the Hogs baseball game, a fan, 2 blow up mattresses, a camping lamp and a whole bunch of books for Caleb. At one point, Rudy even had his laptop out there. They were really roughing it!

On Sunday, Mom and Mr. L. came up to our house. Nola's last day of daycare was Friday, so we needed someone to watch her while Rudy and I finished up work. Monday was Rudy's last day, so they kept her at our house. Caleb went to daycare, but Mom picked him up a little early. I had an after school end-of-the-year gathering at my principal's house. By the time I got home, Mom, Mr.L. and Caleb had left for Hot Springs. He got to spend the whole week with them and he was SO happy.

My last day of school was Tuesday and I had a retirement party to attend after school. On Wednesday, I had to put in 6 hours for "work day." Rudy brought Nola to school and he loaded my personal belongings into my car to move them to my new school. At the end of the day, I walked out the door and into summer!
Actually...I walked into a gym. Yes, a gym. I decided that I need to focus more on my health this summer and I am most successful when I attend exercise classes. Therefore, I joined Fuse Family Wellness and I'm going to classes to workout. I even worked out on Wednesday afternoon. The "burn & firm" class was so hard, but I finished all 45 minutes of it, which was a giant accomplishment. I spent the next 3 days hobbling around like I'd been beaten...but I returned to the gym on Friday for a few miles on a bike and some weights. Since then, I've been to a yoga class and I'm now finding my groove in a Zumba class, which I love!

On Thursday (6/10) morning, Nola and I took Rudy to Fayetteville to have his bottom wisdom teeth cut out. On the way home from Fayetteville, he texted our parents: "Surgery is over. Drugs are gooood. I feel groovy." He also sent them a picture of himself similar to this one, but he doesn't remember doing it. He kept talking over and over about his "bonnet." He wanted to know why he had to wear a bonnet, telling me his bonnet felt funny, asking if I liked his bonnet, etc, etc. He doesn't remember that either.
Once I got him home, started him on his medication and put him to bed, I had just enough time to eat some lunch and then take Nola to the ENT. Dr. Lee took a look at her medical history (all 4 months of it) and her family history (he also did Caleb and Rudy's tubes) and decided that Nola will be getting tubes in her ears on July 6th. HALLELUJAH AND AMEN! The day was quite a start to the summer.
Besides the short time I was gone to the gym, I stayed home all day on Friday to make sure that Rudy was following the orders to "take it easy." He has a very hard time doing that. I caught him emptying the trash cans and loading the dishwasher and begged him to please just lay down, but he can't handle being still. When I finally got him to take some pain medicine and go to sleep, I decided to try another new adventure: making baby food. (more on that in another post)
On Friday night, we went over to Grandma Voise's house because people were starting to gather there for her birthday party on Saturday. We visited with the family for a little while and then came home. Rudy took a box of mac & cheese so that he'd have something soft to eat. :)
Saturday was pretty laid back. I went to the gym and Rudy insisted on mowing the yard despite my protests. Saturday night, we went back over to Grandma's house for her 80th birthday party. Several of her friends from the neighborhood came, in addition to our family.
Whew - so that gets me to Sunday, when we went to Hot Springs. I think I'll save that for another post...

No comments: