Tuesday, July 28, 2009

2 Arms, 2 Legs and a Strong Heartbeat

We went today for our 12 week OB appointment. Before we saw the doctor, though, we had another ultrasound. This ultrasound is an optional one called an "early screen" or "NT screen." It checks for the probability of several chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down Syndrome. We won't have the results for a week or so, but the ultrasound tech said that everything looks pretty good to her. Her exact words were, "2 arms, 2 legs and a strong heartbeat." (Heartrate was 155 bpm - that's in the high range of normal.) Really, that strong heartbeat is the thing we want the most. We can deal with anything else that comes our way. We chose to have the screen just for our knowledge and preparation. It wouldn't change anything. It's not like we would ever choose not to have the baby - we just want to be as prepared as possible for any curves in the road. We know that we can't be prepared for everything that life throws our way, but when you have the opportunity to possibly know ahead of time without any harm to the baby or me, why not take it?

We didn't find out the gender yet. That'll be in late September. I hope the little stinker will be more cooperative then. (S)he didn't move hardly at all this time. We got 5 pictures and they are all almost exactly the same. The ultrasound tech said, "this baby is on vacation...laid back and relaxing." That's my kind of kid! I'm 12 weeks, 4 days pregnant and the baby measured 12 weeks, 6 days. Close enough, right?

Here is the latest of HotShot's photo sessions:


After the ultrasound and a lovely finger prick for blood tests, we went to see Dr. Ford. She didn't do any exam at all. She just asked how things were going, made sure I hadn't had any bleeding or cramping and said, "see you in 4 weeks!" I asked her about my UTI and she said that my in-office culture was fine, but that she would send it to the lab since I'm still having some kidney-area discomfort. I also asked about my feet swelling this early and she said it was probably more related to something I ate (too much salt) and the heat of summer. I told her that I've felt like I had the flu all summer with this crazy exhaustion and nausea. She said to give it 2 or 3 more weeks and I should be getting better. She (obviously) wasn't concerned about anything. I've always said that you can go into an OB's office with your arm hanging off by a tendon and they would say, "That's normal. It's just part of pregnancy!"

I go back to see Dr. Ford in 4 weeks.

No comments: