Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Weekend from...

I have never been so glad to see a weekend come to an end! This has been one of those rare weekends that I would like to erase. Since I can't have do-over, I'd like for it to just be over. You know how they say, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy?" Well, at our house, it's pretty much if Mama or Daddy or Caleb ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. When one of us is in a funk, it affects the whole rest of the family. I take responsibility for the funk that has hovered over the Villines house this weekend. Mama wasn't happy. Nobody was happy.

Friday afternoon, I went to get my hair cut after work. This appointment has been rescheduled 4 times since the original date which was during the ice storm. My appointment was at 5:00 and I was supposed to meet Rudy and Caleb afterwards for dinner. The last time I got my hair cut was my first appointment with this guy (who shall remain nameless) and he did a fantastic job. I left there so happy! Friday was a different story. When I sat down, he asked me how much I wanted taken off. I told him that I'm trying to grow my hair out so he said he'd only take off about a half of an inch. Then...I asked him to "shape it up." My hair grows so thick at the bottom, so I need some thinning every time I go in. He started cutting and cutting and cutting, but he told me he was just shaping it up. When he dried my hair, I was pretty stunned at how much shorter it was. I tried to tell myself it was because of the way he styled it, but I wasn't convinced. I met Rudy and Caleb for a wonderful dinner at Chili's and then we came home for some R & R.

Saturday, we got up and got ready to go to Fayetteville for Rudy to teach a trumpet lesson and all of us to go to the Razorback game.. That's when things got ugly. As I dried my hair, I realized that there were gaping holes in the shape. No matter what I did, my hair was just not looking right. The closer I examined the problem, the worse it got. My curls can cover a multitude of sins, but this could not be covered. I was so angry that I cried, hit the countertop and pretty much had a temper tantrum. I know that sounds stupid, but the first thing that people see when they look at me is my hair. That has been the case for as long as I can remember. People remember me by my hair...and my hair was unpresentable. I finally realized that we were going to be late for Rudy's lesson, so I slung my sunglasses on my head, slapped on some makeup and we left. We got about a half mile away when Rudy realized he had forgotten the tickets. We turned around and came home. When we got to the school where Rudy was supposed to teach, he realized he had forgotten his school keys. Quick thinking gave us the idea for him to teach the lesson in the music building at the U of A, so we headed to campus. Caleb and I drove around for a little while, then went to Chick-Fil-A to get lunch. I let him play for a little while in the play area, then we picked up our food and met Rudy back on campus. We found a place to park for the game and then ate our lunch in the car. The basketball game was horrendous. The Hogs just don't have it this year. Kentucky scored first and never looked back. Caleb was a good boy during the game despite his missed nap. We sat behind Lauren and Bella Pratchard, so Caleb was glad to see "my fella" (AKA: Bella). We were glad when the game was over! On the way home, I called the anonymous hair stylist and told him that I needed to come back in for some repair work. He apologized and scheduled me for Monday afternoon.

When we got home from Fayetteville, I decided to tackle the mountain of laundry that we accumulated during our busy week. Rudy went for a run and Caleb "chilled out" watching some TV and playing. The hits just kept on coming as I knocked over half of the spices in our pantry and had to clean up all of that. Thank goodness most of them were closed. I did manage to keep the glass bottle of soy sauce from hitting the tile floor, which was a minor miracle. I somehow managed to make a yummy dinner without spilling, burning or ruining anything and we were all in bed...early.

This morning, Caleb slept until 7:00 and Rudy got up with him. THANK YOU, RUDY!!!! I dozed in and out until 9:00, alternating between sleep and listening to the boys laugh and play. It is my favorite sound in the world. At 9:00, Caleb decided I had slept long enough and he came in to officially wake me up...with his recorder. He blows that thing so loud!!! I got up and resumed laundry, hung out with Caleb and read the paper. Rudy took his car in for an oil change and came back with a programmable thermostat. (Trying to be a little greener...) We made the decision not to go to church this morning because it was such a busy week and weekend. We needed some time to be together and not have to be "on." After lunch, Caleb went to his room for a nap that didn't ever happen. I finished the book I was reading and Rudy installed the thermostat. Finally, I decided to face the facts and started getting ready for our evening. Guess what?!? My hair still has massive holes in it. I gave up pretty quickly and put on a headband to mask some of the damage. Caleb was excited about going to see Bob the Builder. He even wanted to take his hard hat...which was a good thing. They sold them at the show for $30!

Here are Caleb and Rudy at the show. Notice how thin Rudy's face is getting! I'm really proud of him for sticking to our plan so diligently. He is my motivator and my accountability.We had great seats for the show - first row of the balcony. That was about the only great thing about it. I bought Caleb a $25 t-shirt that was too big, so I took it back and exchanged it for a toy...a $25 light-up toy! We made it through the first half of the show. Caleb stared blankly at the stage for the first 15 minutes, then he sat in my lap, then he wanted to stand up, then he sat on the floor, then he.... You get the picture. He wasn't impressed with Bob the Builder LIVE! and neither were his parents. When the lights came on for intermission, Caleb said, "It's all done." Rudy and I decided he was right. We left without looking back. We headed for dinner and then headed for home. No more Bob the Builder for us. The sad thing is that it was supposed to be the Backyardigans, which we love at our house. Caleb watches that almost every night. When the Backyardigans show was cancelled, the WAC replaced it with Bob and offered us the same tickets for that show. I accepted and hoped that Caleb would decide that he liked Bob. No such luck. He likes the idea of Bob, he likes his Bob books and he likes to use his Bob toys to help Daddy "fix" things, but he doesn't really like the show. I can't say that I blame him.

So...it has been a crummy weekend at the Villines house. From a bad haircut that led to a bad attitude to a day filled with clumsiness and stupid mistakes and ending with a waste of money on a show that was a disappointment - it was just one of those weekends. We're starting a better week tomorrow. Rudy and I both have professional development days, which means no students. Rudy and I have a date night on Tuesday - back to the WAC. This time, we're seeing Avenue Q, which has gotten rave reviews and I'm really excited about it. We're even going out to dinner...just the 2 of us! I don't have any nighttime work commitments this week and Rudy only has one. I get to go back to aerobics on Thursday, which kicks my tail, but makes me feel better inside and out. Maybe my hair will get repaired. Hopefully, we'll all stay healthy. It HAS to be a better week.

No comments: