Monday, November 12, 2007

Maybe Someday...

...I'll be able to write a post about how we're all healthy and we're all feeling great and nobody in our house is sick. Not today.

I have a head cold/sinus pressure that is about to make me crazy. Rudy still has the remnants of bronchitis. And then there's Caleb:

Saturday night, Caleb went to bed at 8:30. Stacy and I were cropping and started to hear him crying around 10:30. I went back to his room and picked him to try to soothe him back to sleep. He was having none of that! He cried and patted the back of his head, so I gave him some Ibuprofen and put him back down. He slept for a little over 2 hours and then woke up screaming. I went in and gave him some milk and tried to lay down in the guest bed with him. He wiggled, squirmed, cried and yelled all night long. Rudy and I ended up taking turns sitting up, just trying to soothe him because he was obviously so uncomfortable. We couldn't figure out what was wrong, though. He eventually went to sleep laying on me in the recliner at about 6:30. We spent the whole day on Sunday switching off holding Caleb and napping. Somehow, Rudy also cleaned the bathrooms and washed his car, but I have no idea how! It was one of the most miserable experiences I can remember! We were all so tired and cranky and we just couldn't figure out what was wrong with Caleb. I called the Dr's exchange at about 6:00, because he hadn't eaten anything all day. He had just laid on the floor or in our laps. He wasn't interested in toys or food or anything! The nurse called and said that we should just watch him and make sure his fever didn't spike, but other than that - she had no words of wisdom. I just knew that after laying around all day, we would never get Caleb to sleep, but he went down to bed just like always and slept all night long. He woke up this morning a little cranky, but nothing out of the ordinary. We went to school and he seemed fine. I got a call from his school at about 1:45 that he had a fever and that his right ear was draining really badly. I told them I would be there as soon as I could. I finished my last kiddo for the day and then went to get him. We went straight to the doctor's appointment that was supposed to be for pnuemonia follow-up. When we got in to see Dr. Harmon, he said, "We're going to have to get this kid to stop getting sick on the weekends!" Rudy and I agreed whole-heartedly! Dr. Harmon took one look in Caleb's right ear and said that his eardrum had ruptured and that the left one looked like it might do the same. He put Caleb on another round of strong antibiotics and said that if that doesn't work, we'll probably do a 2nd set of tubes. The poor kid has been through the ringer and back again. He was in a pretty good mood tonight and enjoyed playing with his Daddy while I got some necessary work done. Hopefully the drugs will do their job and we'll be better, but I'm not making any promises!

No comments: