Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Week Down

Thanks so much to everyone who offered words of encouragement after Caleb’s rough day last week.  Just so you all know – I am not worried about him one iota.  He will be just fine.  It’s just a rough transition.  We are learning a new process and new roles and that’s to be expected.  It will be fun to look back at that post when he graduates and smile about his first week of kindergarten.

Thursday and Friday were great.  I had kindergarten recess duty on Thursday and that was the only time I saw Caleb during the day.  When I went into the cafeteria to get the K’s, I saw that Caleb was drinking chocolate milk.  I had sent his lunch in his lunchbox and knew he didn’t have any money in his account, so I asked him how he got milk.  He said, “I asked for it.”  Sure enough, he had asked one of the cafeteria staff for some milk and they gave it to him…for 50 cents.  After recess, I went straight to my computer and put some money in his lunch account.  That afternoon, I told him that when he takes his lunch, he only gets what’s in his lunchbox.  I never thought about the fact that he wouldn’t know that.  He had never had to take a lunch before.  He told me that he drank all of his Capri Sun and was still thirsty.  That afternoon, we bought a new water bottle for him to take to school, so that he can get water if he drinks all of his Capri Sun.  When I saw him after school, he was proud to tell me that he stayed on green all day.  We left right after school to buy some new inserts for his shoes, that water bottle that I mentioned and a quick stop by the bank. 

Friday was show & tell day & Caleb was so excited!  He took his Junior Razorback lanyard and pass that had come in the mail on Thursday.  He couldn’t wait to tell his class that his LaLa and Pops had gotten him a membership to Junior Razorbacks and that he will get to go on the field before a Razorback game.  He was also excited because he was going to get a tray in the cafeteria.  Pizza Friday!  I went in the cafeteria to say hi and found that all he had was chocolate milk, his water bottle and one piece of pizza.  He said he didn’t like the other stuff they had (green beans, cucumber slices and nectarines).  I told him that *just this one time* I would go get him something from my lunchbox so he wouldn’t be starving in the afternoon.  I grabbed some applesauce and a rice krispie treat (his usual afternoon snack) and took it to him.  I sat with him while he ate.  He said, “Mama, I have to tell you something in your ear.”  I bent over and he whispered, “That girl sometimes talks in Spanish.”  I smiled big and told him that was pretty cool. 

After school, Jan spent the night at our house.  We had delicious grilled chicken and then went out for frozen yogurt and a drive.  As I write this – Nola is napping and the rest of the family is bowling.

With that, we have one week of school behind us.  Just over 170 days to go…

No comments: