Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter

Easter weekend has been exhausting, but so much fun. On Saturday, Rudy took the kiddos to the grocery store and to get BBQ for Sunday's lunch. He took them out so that I could have a little bit of time to start my exercise routine without interruption. (Thank you, Rudy!) When they got home, we all got ready to go to Jackson's birthday party. Leslie put together a "Super Hero" themed party. Caleb took a while to warm up, but once he got going, he had fun. He was quite a bit younger than all of the other boys, but he enjoyed himself and devoured a cupcake. While we were at the party, he scraped his knee and started to cry. I looked at him and acted like that scraped knee was the coolest thing ever. He grinned really big and said, "Cool! It's my first scraped knee!" (It's not really. It's just the first one he remembers, I guess.) We got him cleaned up and he got TWO band-aids and he was fine. He went out on the soccer field with the other boys and had a blast. Of course, he managed to run right through the mud.

Much to my dismay, it seems that Caleb may have some innate soccer talent. I'm not a soccer person. I didn't grow up with soccer and I think the whole soccer thing is overdone. The soccer mom mentality is so foreign to me and the idea of 3 year olds competing in an organized sport is just so odd. I know - to each his own - but I've just never been a soccer person. I'm much more into football, baseball and basketball. But...it looks like Caleb is pretty good at handling a soccer ball. He can run and kick the ball (dribbling???) at the same time and Rudy says that's a pretty advanced skill. So - we may have to explore the world of soccer. Rudy almost has me convinced that it's a precursor to what I like to call "real football."

Since Caleb ran through the mud, we had to make a Payless pitstop on our way over to Nana's house. I needed to get him some Easter shoes anyway, so we ended up with some sandals for church and a pair of Buzz Lightyear tennis shoes. Caleb thought those Buzz shoes were the coolest thing since ice cream because they light up when he walks. Rudy says he kind of looks like a nerd with them on. Whatever - he's 3 and they make him happy and I can use them as a bribe... "If you're not a good listener, we'll have to take your Buzz shoes back to the store." :) It will only work for about a week, but I'm milking it for all it's worth.

We picked up pizzas and went to Nana's for dinner. Jan, Bill and Kathy were there too. We enjoyed catching up with them and having dinner. Caleb enjoyed playing outside too.

This morning, Rudy played in a brass quartet at church. He played the 8:00 service, so he wasn't home when I was getting ready. Fortunately, Caleb slept really late, so I was able to get a shower without worrying about him. Nola woke up early, but went back to sleep before I got in the shower. I had managed to get myself halfway ready and get Caleb completely ready and then Rudy came home between services to help me. (Hallelujah!) He fed Nola while I finished getting dressed, then helped Caleb while I dressed Nola. We are quite a team! We were out the door and at church right on time.

Here's "Sister Britches" all decked out in her Easter dress and cardigan. She had on pink ballet shoes, but they wouldn't stay on, so I gave up trying.

And Caleb looking too cute...but refusing to smile:

We met Jan, Bill and Kathy at church and enjoyed a wonderful Easter service. I just love the music on Easter morning. Up from the grave He arose... After the service, we went into the chapel to take some pictures. Caleb was being completely goofy, so he's making faces in most of the pictures, but there are a couple of really good ones.

I'm quickly learning that it's impossible to get a good picture of two kids.

"I don't want to take anymore pictures..."

Three of my favorite people in this whole world...

How did I manage to get this blessed?

Bill & Grandma with us. I told you Caleb was making faces...
Aunt Kathy, or as Caleb calls her, "Aunt Kaffy"

After church, we came home and gave the kids their Easter baskets. Caleb's had a little bit of candy and gum in it, a chocolate bunny, some PJ's, some shorts (his new favorite thing), a book, some bubbles and some punching balloons. Nola's basket just had Nola in it. After all, what do you get a 2 month old for Easter?
I really think this one looks like she's looking at Caleb and saying, "What in the world is going on here?"
After Caleb dismantled his basket, we ate lunch. After lunch, I hid some eggs in the backyard and Caleb hunted for them. He loved it, but only wanted to do it once, then come inside and eat a little candy. We put the rest of the candy in our candy jar in the pantry to save for later. That jar is really full now!
The rest of our day was pretty relaxing. We rested and went for a walk, then came home for a quick dinner and bath. Now, it's time to get ready for a busy week. It's my last week of maternity leave, so I'm going to get all I can out of it. This time next week, I'll be a mess.

No comments: