Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Do It...All By Myself

Remember when Caleb was all out of sorts? Well, not so much anymore! He has been in a GREAT mood the past couple of days/nights despite having a cold that has lead to some mild bronchitis, complete with a trip to the pediatrician and a round of antibiotics. In addition to that great mood, he has decided that "I can do it all by myself" is his new motto.

On Sunday, he was playing in his playroom and I saw him walk by like he was going to his room. The next thing I knew, I heard the toilet flush and the water running in the sink. He decided he would just go to the bathroom and wash his hands without any help. I was shocked! I knew he could do it, he just never had before without any prompting.

Caleb loves to play outside in the backyard by himself. (The backyard is fully fenced and he can't reach the latch on the gate.) He loves for us to be out with him, but can also play independently and I'm so glad! Tonight after dinner he asked to go outside. Rudy was getting ready for his softball game and I was doing laundry, so we told him he could go out by himself. After I put a load of laundry in, I went to look out the window to check on him and found him standing on the edge of the patio, pulling his pants down. I watched in amused amazement as he proceeded to "water the grass," pull his pants back up and go back to playing like nothing had ever happened. He then went over to his t-ball set, said something that I couldn't hear and popped a ball all the way across the yard. After that, he went to the outside toy bin, got the sidewalk chalk and drew on the patio for a long time. I stood there watching him through the window in absolute amazement. He usually plays on his swingset and plays ball when he's by himself. I've never seen him initiate the use of the sidewalk chalk!

After a while, I opened the door and told him that he could either come in to watch a little TV before bed (his usual routine of either Backyardigans or Little Einsteins) or he could play for 15 more minutes and then come in. He said, "I'll clean up, then I'll come in and watch TV." My jaw almost hit the ground as he started cleaning up his toys ALL BY HIMSELF. While he was cleaning up, I heard him say, "Dark, you coming?" I asked him who he was talking to and he said, "The dark. It doesn't answer, but I asked anyway." I choked back laughter as I nodded in agreement.

My amazement continued when he came in and I told him he needed to wash his hands since he had been outside. He said, "Okay, I do it all by myself. You stay there" and he went to the bathroom to wash his hands...with soap.

When Little Einsteins was finished, he turned off the TV and he asked if he could brush his teeth ALL BY MYSELF. I told him he could start and I would finish. No argument. We brushed teeth and went to his room to put on his PJ's. He wanted to take off his clothes all by himself. I agreed and was impressed until he put his arm through the neckhole of his shirt while trying to take it off. Oh, well - he's learning! Then came time to put on PJ's and of course he wanted to do it all by himself. He put his shirt on his head, but couldn't quite get it through the neckhole. He finally gave up and said, "Oh, you do it!" - but he didn't get mad or frustrated! Then he wanted to put on his pants. He is currently in his bed with his pants on backwards, because I didn't have the heart to tell him and really - what difference does it make? He has been in my room 3 times now. Once he told me that he was sweaty. I asked if he wanted me to turn on his fan and he said, "I do it...all by myself." He then turned around and went back to his room. I realized I had forgotten to give him his medicine, so I went to do that and sure enough - the fan was on and he was in his bed.

I love this newfound independence. It makes me laugh and feel proud all at the same time. Uh-oh, gotta go...Mr. Independent just came in to tell me that he heard a monster and that he likes "my stuff" in my bedroom because it's so pretty. Is it too late to put him back in the crib that he couldn't get out of?

No comments: