Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Week of Calebisms

A few Calebisms that have made me smile lately...and one that has me perplexed:

Last night, Caleb and Rudy were wrestling and tickling. Rudy told Caleb he was going to "eat his cheeks" which is where he pretends that he is gobbling on Caleb's face - a game that usually brings lots and lots of laughter. Caleb got serious all of a sudden and said, "No, Daddy. We don't eat people."

On Tuesday, it was warm. On Wednesday, we got out of the car to go into Caleb's school and it was in the 30's. Caleb looked at me so earnestly and said, "Mama, where'd the warm go? It in timeout?"

This week is "pet week" in Caleb's class. Last night at dinner:
Caleb: Why we can't have a doggy at our home?"
Rudy and I looked at each other for a long time, thinking OH, NO!
Haley: Because we don't have one.
Caleb: Okay.
And we continued eating dinner until a few minutes later...
Caleb: We gonna' go to the dinosaur store and pick out a baby dinosaur?
Haley: Nope.
Caleb: Okay.
I know it won't always be that easy, but I'll take it for now.

Last night, I was putting Caleb to bed. We were sitting on the floor in his room, snuggling and singing songs:
Haley: It's time to say your prayer.
Caleb: I do it all by myself. (We hear this 100 times a day!)
Haley: Okay.
Caleb jumps into his bed and closes his eyes so tight. He sits there for a few seconds without saying anything.
Haley: Now...
Caleb: Now I know my ABC's. Amen. Yeah!!!
Haley: Not quite. Now I lay...
Caleb: Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. Amen. Yeah!!!
Haley: Let's say it together this time. (and we did...)

Now, here's the strangest one of all. Rudy and I had a conversation a couple of weeks ago about the timing for having our second child. That got us thinking, so we were trying to go to sleep one night and bouncing names around to see what we liked. The next morning, Caleb told me he played with his sister the night before. I didn't even know he knew the word "sister." I guess he had a dream about it??? He has used the word a couple more times since then. Last night, he said, "My baby sister came to my house." Through a convoluted conversation, we figured out he was trying to say "babysitter" not "baby sister." However...tonight, he was playing with my old cell phone and kept asking me to call people. We went through a few people before we got to this exchange:
Caleb: You talk to my sister?
Haley: You don't have a sister.
Caleb: Yes I do. You talk to her.
Haley: What's her name?
Caleb: Fella. (This is what he calls his friend Bella.)
He then proceeded to "talk" to her on the phone...about what I was doing. Then he said, "Her not want to talk to me." Sounds like a sister to me! Later, he did the same thing with Rudy, except he decided he didn't want to talk to her and he hung up on her. Does Caleb know something we don't know???

No comments: