Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fibro Flare-up, Crawfish and Rudy Meets John Daly

I try not to talk much about Fibromyalgia. Nobody really wants to hear it and it makes me sound like a whiner. This past week, though, it has affected me enough to make me angry. This happens every spring. The weather changes back and forth from day to day and the rains come in. Both of those things team up to make me feel like I'm about 90 years old. On Tuesday, I came straight home from work after calling Rudy to make sure he would pick Caleb up from school. I left work at 3:10. By 4:00, I was sound asleep in the bed with my PJ's on. I vaguely remember Rudy coming in and telling me that dinner was almost ready. I woke up at 6:00 the next morning. I ate that dinner for lunch on Wednesday. I can't fully blame this need for 14 hours of sleep on Fibro. Part of it had to do with Caleb waking up a lot during the night on both Sunday and Monday nights. Actually, he woke up before 5:00 on Monday morning and never went back to sleep. He woke up at 3:00 on Tuesday morning and neither of us ever really got back to sleep until right before my alarm went off. So, I was tired to begin with. The pain just pushed me right over the edge...and into the bed. I made it through the rest of the week with help from my friend Rapid Release Tylenol. Friday was another rough day. I ended up having to stay home Friday night while Rudy and Caleb went over to Grandma's for dinner. I did get up Saturday morning feeling quite a bit better and managed to tackle our mountain of laundry and get the house picked up. Weeks like these make me crazy!

To make matters even worse, my optometrist told me that the shape of my eyes has changed and I may not be able to wear my beloved night & day contacts anymore. He is making me wear daily contacts only until I go back to see him on Tuesday. He only gave me 5 pairs of contacts and told me to wear my glasses as much as possible. He's trying to see if my eyes will "bounce back" to normal. I hate these contacts and I super-hate my glasses. (Yes, I just made up a word.) I wore the contacts to work on Thursday and Friday and by the time I got home, I was ready to scratch my eyes out. Then I had to make the choice between bad and worse: glasses or contacts. I went with glasses - just because I could take them off and rub my eyes from time to time. Today, I had to wear my glasses all day so that I'll have enough contacts to get me through until I go back on Tuesday. I can promise you that I will beg, steal, grovel, cry and/or wail if it means I get to keep my night & day contacts.

Jan came to our house yesterday (Saturday) to play with Caleb so that Rudy and I could have a date night. We met our friends Jeremy and Lauren at Cafe Rue Orleans. Rudy, Jeremy and I devoured 7 pounds of crawfish and all admitted that we could've eaten more. I was disappointed that there weren't any potatoes or corn in the boil, but took full advantage of the fact that there were mudbugs in their absence. Oh, there's nothing better than a big platter of crawfish! We were planning to go to a movie after we ate, but ended up coming home earlier than planned. We couldn't find a movie that we wanted to see that would get us home before midnight. That is just too far past my bedtime.

This morning, Rudy got up early and met Chad in Dardanelle to play golf. I got a text message from him this afternoon saying that he was on his way home and he had met John Daly. He was so excited to get to meet a professional golfer...even one with the reputation of Big John. Rudy went in the pro shop and bought a copy of his book and got his autograph. And on top of that, he was pleased with how he played, considering that he hadn't swung a club since November. He's playing again on Tuesday. He's taking full advantage of his spring break this week.

My spring break isn't until next week, so I'll be keeping my normal routine. Things around here will be pretty quiet starting on Wednesday, though. Rudy and Caleb are going to Ft. Smith on Wednesday, then heading down to Hot Springs on Thursday to camp and fish with Mr. L. Rudy's coming back here on Saturday and leaving Caleb for an overnight stay with LaLa and Pops. I'm headed down there Sunday to spend the majority of my spring break. I'll be itching to see my Caleb-Bug after being away from him for 4 days!

No comments: