Saturday, September 8, 2007

Eeeew ~ Stomach Flu

Our house has been attacked by the stomach flu! It started Thursday morning. Caleb was still asleep when Rudy left for work, which is strange, but we just wrote it off because of the bronchitis he's been fighting. I got ready to go and then got him up and ready. I put him in the car with his morning cup of milk and off we went. I got to the end of the driveway and heard a sound I'd never heard before. I can't explain it...nor do I want to. Suffice it to say that I thought maybe I hadn't put the lid on his cup well and he had spilled his milk. I turned back to look and he was covered with milk, then threw up again. I calmly put the car in drive, pressed the garage door button and pulled back in. I ran in and pulled off my work clothes, pulled on a t-shirt and grabbed a towel. I got Caleb out of the car, wrapped in the towel and took him in the bathroom to get him cleaned up. I was so proud of myself for not gagging! I put some clean PJ's on him, then called the school absence number. I put Caleb in the high chair with a cup of water and made some phone calls to the preschools I was supposed to go to on Wednesday and then called Rudy to warn him that he might have to take off on Friday since we try to split our sick days for Caleb. Caleb and I spent the day snuggling and sleeping. This was the first time he's ever laid his head down in my lap to rest and it was so sweet. He felt so bad. He just wanted to be held and comforted. He didn't throw up again that morning, but had some pretty nasty diapers. I put him down to nap from 10:30 - 1:00 and from 2:30-5:00. He was exhausted. While he slept, I cleaned up the car seat, which was gross, but I still didn't gag! At dinner, Caleb seemed to be feeling better, so we tried to give him something to eat. He took a couple of bites and threw up in his plate. I felt so bad for him. He had no idea what was going on and he was miserable. That was the end of it for Caleb, though. He hasn't been sick since. He doesn't have much appetite yet, but he seems to feel okay.

I went to bed Wednesday night with a headache, but planned to go to work on Friday. woke up at 3:00 on Thursday morning with that nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right. Rudy was sleeping on the couch, so I had the whole bed to myself. I laid there until 3:30, when it finally hit. I was sick all morning! By noon, I had absolutely no energy left and couldn't even get out of bed. I was running fever and using my cell phone to call Rudy to ask for Gatorade and popsicles. It was completely pitiful. Rudy was great to take care of me and entertain Caleb all day.

Rudy came into the bedroom at 5:45 this morning and said that we needed to call someone to come get Caleb, because it had hit him. I called my parents and they drove from Hot Springs to get Caleb. They left their house at 6:00, got here at 9:00 and left here at 9:15. I was feeling okay, but still not good. I probably could've managed Caleb today, but I wasn't so sure. I was running a low-grade fever and didn't want to chance re-infecting him. Rudy has been in the bed all day today (against his wishes) and is feeling pretty crummy this afternoon. I took a long nap this afternoon, caught up on Days of Our Lives and I'm doing some laundry. I'm going to drive down in the morning to get Caleb, spend a couple of hours in HS and then come back.

On a happier note - Caleb's bronchitis seems to be gone!

No comments: