Monday, September 3, 2007

August...to the best of my memory

The last post I have saved from the old blog (boooo!) is from July 20th. So, for the sake of posterity, I'm going to try to remember what's happened since then and post it here. Here we go...
July 25th ~ Mom and Mr. L. came to St. Louis. With the help of about 8 of Rudy's former students, we loaded 2 of the biggest U-Hauls we could get. Jenny came over to keep an eye on Caleb. She ended up taking him to her house, just to get him out of the melee of moving. Michael came over after work and was a big help! Jerry and Sherry came by to say "bye" and to play with Caleb for a little while. Fortunately, Jenny had brought him back by that point. While they were at the house, Sherry was holding Caleb's hand while he walked around and I walked in the room. Caleb let go of her hand and took about 3 steps to get to me! It was his first time to ever walk by himself. We were all so excited about that big advancement. After we got the trucks loaded, my parents, Rudy, Jenny, Caleb and I went to TJ Wings for some dinner. We were all completely exhausted! When we got back to the house, Jenny and I said a tearful "see you later" and I went back to getting things ready for the big drive the next day. Caleb slept in his pack & play, Mom and Mr. L. slept on a mattress on the floor in the guest room and Rudy and I slept on our mattress on the floor in our room.

July 26th ~ We were up bright and early to leave St. Louis. Mr. L. and Rudy drove the big trucks, Mom drove Mr. L.'s truck and Caleb and I were in my car. We were quite the gypsy caravan! We made it here by 2:00 and started unloading right away. We had lots of help: Chris (Rudy's brother), Nick and Jan showed up to help. Once things settled down a little, Leslie brought Jackson and Grace over and the Schmidts came over too. Stacy had been kind enough to keep Caleb during the day so that we could unload the truck without his "help." We ordered a few pizzas and started unpacking.

July 27th ~ I had to meet with the HR director at Bentonville in the morning, so I left the crew here and went to do that. It was a challenge getting really dressed when most of my stuff was still in boxes, but I managed. Mom and Jan were very kind to take care of Caleb, start unpacking household necessities and make the first Wal-Mart run while I was gone. Mr. L. and Rudy spent the day taking the U-Hauls back and doing "man stuff." Mr. L. grilled for us that night and it was a great first dinner in our temporary home.

July 28th ~ Mom and Mr. L. left for Hot Springs pretty early Saturday morning. Rudy, Caleb and I spent the day unpacking some boxes and just spending time together after the whirlwind of activity that comes with moving.

August 1st ~ Rudy started back to work. His main job is with the middle school bands, but part of his responsibility is that he has to help out with summer band camp and Tuesday night rehearsals at the high school. That's not so bad, considering how much he was gone the past few years.

August 3rd ~ We all went to the band party at a park in Springdale. The staff, kids and band parents made us feel very welcome. Caleb loved going over to the pond and feeding bread to the ducks and geese. They came right up to him and he, of course, laughed and said "quack!"

August 6th ~ I started my new job in Bentonville. We had a week of new teacher orientation and a week of staff in-service before the kids ever darkened the doors of the schools. It was a long two weeks!

Since I started back to work, Caleb started his new daycare. He really seems to like it there and has adjusted well. The staff likes him and they always tell me how sweet he is for them. I had a hard time with the idea of Caleb going to a daycare facility. Ms. Carrie was so completely wonderful last year. When we had him there, I felt like he was with a family member. Now, he goes to daycare in a room with about 10 other kids. He sits in a little chair at a little table for lunch and he plays on a playground for recess. The hardest part for me, though, was the idea of him taking his nap on a cot. Until he started daycare, he had never slept anywhere other than his crib, his pack & play, the carseat or someone's arms. Now, he's sleeping on a cot. The visual image of that was what made me cry the night before Caleb started daycare. I'm okay with it now. He's been there almost a month and he lights up in the mornings when I tell him it's time to go to school. That makes me happy.

August 10th ~ Mom and Mr. L. came up for the weekend of August 10th. Mr. L. and Rudy were beside themselves with excitement about going to the PGA Championship in Tulsa. They went over there on Saturday and Sunday and loved every single minute of it! While they were gone, Mom, Caleb and I spent Saturday goofing around here and taking a tour of the area. We had a good time, even though Caleb wasn't quite feeling 100%. He was pretty cranky. We even got up and left PF Chang's before we could order our food because he was so out of sorts. It's too stressful for me and everyone around me when he's like that in a restaurant. I think it's just best to get up and leave.

August 12th ~ The morning of August 12th was huge at our house! Caleb decided he'd just take off walking all by himself. He had been taking a step or two here and there, but that morning, he walked for real! We had just finished breakfast and he was getting fussy, so Rudy got him out of the highchair and took him in the living room to play. All of a sudden, Rudy started yelling at us to come look, because Caleb was walking. Mom, Mr. L. and I went into the living room and Caleb walked from Rudy to Mom, then from Mom to Mr. L. I grabbed the camera and took a couple of pictures and a little bit of wobbly video. I was so glad that Mom and Mr. L. were here to share that fun with us!

August 16th ~ Caleb's daycare called and said he was covered in a rash! I went to get him and took him to the pediatric clinic. The doctor looked him over and said that it was a post-viral rash and that he could go back to daycare. It wasn't roseola this time, but something similar. I guess that explains why he was so grumpy the previous weekend!

August 17th ~ We had dinner and visited with the Voises at their house. Jan and Chris were in town, so it was good to have everyone together.

August 18th ~ Jan took care of Caleb while Rudy, Chris and I rearranged our garage. When we moved in, we just stacked the boxes and extra furniture in the garage however we could. We really wanted to park at least one of our vehicles (preferably mine) in the garage, so we spent the day of the 18th taking everything out of the garage and putting it all back in! Now, half of the garage is storage and the other half is perfect for my car!

August 20th ~ School started for Rudy and me. Actually...school started for Rudy, since I don't start seeing kids until tomorrow. :)

August 22nd ~ Rudy and I visited a different daycare center that we are going to move Caleb to. Leslie & Nick take Jackson there and they love it. We are perfectly content with where he is now, but we REALLY like new place. Plus...it's cheaper, newer and closer to our house. We're actually going to save $500 a year by moving him. I don't think there's much debate there!

August 23rd ~ Mr. L. has started a new job and needed a laptop. Rudy's new job supplied him with one, so we loaned Mr. L. Rudy's old one. So...we met them in Ft. Smith for dinner and to give him the computer. Caleb was funny when he turned the corner in the restaurant and saw them sitting there, waving at him. His eyes got huge and he grinned from ear to ear! It was so funny! During our meal, Mr. L. and Caleb fed each other french fries until I thought Caleb was going to turn into a big french fry. Those two are just enamored with each other! Isn't that why we moved home in the first place???

August 30th ~ For the whole last week of August, Caleb had a terrible cough that just kept getting worse and worse! Finally, I called the doctor's office to make an appointment. I took him in on the 30th. We saw Dr. Byrum and he said that Caleb has bronchitis. He prescribed Albuterol and wished us luck. I went to get the prescription at Walgreen's and it was $75! I about had a heart attack! Come to find out, the actual medicine was only $10, but the plastic mask that we have to use to give it to him was $65! So, we've been giving him this medicine all weekend and he's not doing any better. We've had a couple of rough nights of him coughing and crying for over an hour in the middle of the night. I'm taking him back to the doctor this afternoon (9/3/07). Hopefully, they will be able to give us something better.

August 31st ~ We went out to dinner at Fish City Grill at the Promenade. It was wonderful!!!! It was a beautiful, cool evening, so after dinner, we walked over to the fountain to let Caleb play. He loves to look at the fountain. He walked around and around it for quite a while, then he took off walking to see some flowers in a big terracotta planter. He tripped somewhere along the way and hit his chin on the planter. He has a scrape on his chin that looks pretty yucky. It doesn't seen to bother him, though. I guess it's one of the first of many of those! Since he's been walking, he seems to have lots of mysterious boo-boos. Last week he had a bruise on his right cheek that I couldn't explain and he's had some red marks on his forehead that I could only assume came from a topple at daycare.

September 1st ~ WOOOO PIG SOOIE! Finally - football season has arrived. Jan came up to keep Caleb for the first Razorback game of the season. Rudy and I had lunch with the Fellers at Jose's. After that, we went to the Alumni house to meet up with the Lyons crew. The Hogs won the game against Troy (46-26). At halftime, we were invited up to a luxury box by Rudy's work partner and that was quite a treat! After the game, we met Cindy and Kendra at Willy D's (piano bar) for about an hour or so and then came on home. It was a great day that we've been waiting for for a long time!

September 2nd ~ We met the Lyons family at Monte Ne Inn for dinner last night. It was fabulous as always, but Caleb was quite a handful! He kept wanting to get out of his highchair and walk around. Rudy and I worked our rear ends off trying to keep him occupied!

September 3rd ~ Finally - I'm caught up to today! All that, and there's not much to report for today. After having a rough night with Caleb last night, I slept in and Rudy played with Caleb this morning. They even went to the park for a while. Now, Caleb is taking his nap and I'm about to get a shower so that I can take him to the doctor this afternoon. Rudy is playing golf with some band directors. I start seeing kids for therapy tomorrow morning! Yikes - I never thought I'd be doing therapy again. I have kids back-to-back from 8:00-3:30 tomorrow. I will be completely exhausted tomorrow night!

No comments: