Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It's HOT!

It's officially HOT - 100 degrees to be exact! It has been so hot this week and we have done everything possible to stay inside and stay cool! It's pretty warm in our house, especially upstairs, so we have the fans running on high speed and Caleb has been spending a lot of time in nothing but a diaper. On the positive side, he didn't get cold when he had his bath.
I heard a beautiful sound a couple of days ago and I can't wait to hear it again. Caleb laughed! He really laughed out loud. Oddly enough, though, he was asleep when he did it. The child makes more noise when he's asleep than he does when he's awake. Sometimes he starts crying as if he's in the most horrible pain imaginable and two seconds later, he's smiling!

We had our first visit from our parent educator today. Missouri has a wonderful Parents as Teachers program and it’s even free. We enrolled through the school district where we live and we are excited about it! Our PE's name is Amy and she is very nice! She came this morning to meet us and shared some great information with us.

The past couple of weeks have been big for Caleb - and for us. On the 8th, he spent the night with Jerry, Sherry and Rebecca while Rudy and I went on our date. According to them, he did great and was a complete joy! Last Friday night, we went to see Tim McGraw and Faith Hill in concert and Caleb stayed with Monica. She took him to Daniel's baseball game. She said that he was the easiest baby ever!

On Sunday, Rudy went to Branson for an overnight golf trip with Chad. Caleb and I were all alone from early Sunday morning until Monday afternoon. Sunday was a lazy day for us, but we had fun on Monday running some errands and meeting Monica for lunch. When Rudy got home on Monday afternoon, he was so excited to see Caleb! He swore that the child had actually grown while he was gone!

I've been getting caught up on my scrapbooks in the past couple of weeks. I went to a crop at church and got a ton of pages finished. Today, Rudy agreed to let me have a Mom's Day Out and I went to the Archiver's store in the mall. I scrapbooked for hours and I was so excited about the pages that I finished! I'm even going to a crop at my neighbor's house on Friday night. I'm really trying to not get too far behind since there are SO MANY pictures of Caleb to be used!

We had a few scary moments tonight. I hadn't been home from scrapbooking for long when it suddenly got very dark and windy outside. The weather turned nasty very fast and we headed for the basement. We had a terrible storm, but we were very lucky. Our area is one of the only areas in St. Louis that didn't lose power tonight. There are over 300,000 people without power right now in the metro area! We didn't go out after the storm to check for damage or anything, because it was dark. I guess tomorrow will tell. I don't think we had any damage, but a lightning bolt hit very close to our house. Rudy estimated that from the sound of it, it couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred yards away! It was LOUD! Dewey was a total wreck - like he always is in storms, but Caleb slept through it all in my arms. I learned what it feels like to become protective of a child. I wasn't worried about myself or my house or anything else - just making sure that Caleb was safe. Amazing what motherhood does, isn't it?

Band camp starts tomorrow for Rudy, so Caleb and I are on our own during the day for the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, that means that the school year is quickly approaching and I'll be headed back to work on August 10th. I'm having a hard time imagining the whole thing - leaving Caleb and getting back to work - and it makes me more than just a little sad. On the other hand, I'm ready for a little more routine in my life and I know that I can't provide the type of life that I want Caleb to have unless I go to work. So, I'll take the bad with the good, and as I always say, "Put on my big girl panties and deal with it!" I'm just going to enjoy the last days of pure freedom with my favorite little baby boy!

No comments: