Saturday, December 4, 2010

November Thankfulness

Lots of people on Facebook posted something that they were thankful for every day in November.  I did mine from November 1st through Thanksgiving Day. 

Here's my list:
  1. Rudy. God has blessed me with a loving, patient husband who gives 1000% to his family. He is more than I ever imagined a man could be.
  2. I'm thankful for my sweet Nola. Even when she's sick (which is most of the time), she's a happy & precious little girl. Her smile lights up a room & her snuggles warm my heart.
  3. I am thankful for my vivacious Caleb. He is the true definition of a 4-year-old boy. Just when I think I might sell him for a quarter, he makes me laugh and melt and swell with pride. I can truly see God's fingerprints when I look at him.
  4. I'm thankful for my mom who raised me with strong values and a strong work ethic. I'm thankful that she loves me unconditionally and that we survived my teenage years intact.
  5. I'm thankful for "Mr. L." who married my mom even though the package deal included an adolescent girl. He filled a role that I needed filled, though I didn't know it at the time. I'll never forget him teaching me to drive and telling Mom we didn't need a plan if we had to stop on the inters...tate. He's the world's best Pops and loves my kids beyond my imagination.
  6. I'm thankful that I have a job. I may not always love it and most of the time it provides more stress than joy but I get a paycheck every month and that's more than a lot of people can say. It's even better on the occasional days when I feel like I've made a difference for a kid.
  7. The right and ability to attend church services with the great people at Central UMC. We continue to try to get more "connected" as our time there continues.
  8. My cousins Becca & Julie. Becca and I tormented "Poor Little Julie" but the 3 of us always ended up giggling when we were supposed to be sleeping. The fun we've had (& continue to have) at the kids' table "is illegal in 32 states" so fah. I love you girls!
  9. My Memmie & Poppie. They made sure I grew up knowing about my dad after he died when I was 4. They showed me what strength in the face of overwhelming adversity looks like. Though we have very different ways of looking at the world and the Word, they are my spiritual guideposts. I can't imagine the day I have to live without them.
  10. I'm thankful for my friend, Stacy Schmidt. When we worked together, the kids thought we were sisters. We can go weeks without talking and pick up right where we left off or we can talk every day. Sometimes we don't even have to say anything at all and we understand each other. That's what friendship should be.
  11. While I don't always agree with the actions of our military, I'm certainly thankful for the unbelievably brave men and women who willingly volunteer to put their lives on the line every day in the name of protecting freedom. Happy Veteran's Day to all of those who have served in our Armed Forces. Thank you.
  12. Uncle Jimmy. It's not just because I thought he was the coolest person ever when I was a little girl or because he asked if he would get his own FB post this month. It's really because without Uncle Jimmy there wouldn't be an Aunt Kim!
  13. Harolyn Gray Holmes is such an awesome aunt that she "invited herself" to my house for the weekend. She kept my mom company while I did all of my Christmas shopping today and did a great job of entertaining Nola as well. She has always treated me like I was one of her own and I love her dearly!
  14. I was able to buy Christmas presents for my family without worrying how to pay for them. We aren't wealthy, but we have maintained through these difficult years when so many others haven't been as fortunate and now face the struggle of what can be left off of the grocery list so that they can give their children something for Christmas. I am grateful that I don't carry that burden.
  15. I'm thankful for my in-laws, especially Jan Beaty, for raising my husband to be the man that he is today.
  16. I'm thankful for my kids' daycare. It is so comforting to know that my kids are safe and loved when I'm not with them during the day. We have been blessed with some wonderful caregivers who I trust with my greatest treasure every day.
  17. I am blessed to be on an awesome team of SLPs who make me laugh and let me vent and challenge me to do my best. We're in the trenches together and I'm always proud of how we support each other when one of us struggles.
  18. a quiet Friday night at home
  19. modern amenities in the comfort of my home. For example, I don't have to worry about lugging laundry to a laundromat. We are blessed to have the things we too often take for granted.
  20. I'm thankful to have been raised and in a time and place where faith, family and friends were the highest priorities and where manners, respect and graciousness were expected. I pray that my children will learn the same.
  21. I'm thankful for the technology that allows me to stay in close contact with those I love and reconnect with those who I wondered if I'd ever hear from again.
  22. Right now, I am thankful for a little bit of quiet time in my house all by myself with the knowledge that "the holidays" officially start in approximately 36 hours. Feels a little like the calm before the storm.
  23. I'm thankful that I don't have to wonder if I'll have a warm (and overly abundant) meal tomorrow. I pray tonight for the lonely hearts who don't have a family to share Thanksgiving with.
  24. Most of all, I am thankful that God blessed my life with the love of Jesus, a family who raised me to know Him, a country that allows me to praise Him and the personal relationship that I have with Him. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: