Saturday, December 4, 2010

Caleb's 1st Razorback Game

I absolutely cannot believe I forgot to write this post.  I just looked back through my blog and realized that it was missing.  Let me back up for a minute, because this one is important!

Rudy had to go to St. Louis for a band contest the weekend of October 23rd.  I had planned to go to the Arkansas vs. Ole Miss game with my friend Jamie, but she cancelled because she was sick.  I decided to take the best date I could think of:  Caleb.  He was beyond excited about it.  I was nervous, because the weather forecast for the game was really really bad.  I packed a bag with ponchos, a camera and a few other things we might need.  We left early so that we could park close. 

When we got to campus, we walked through the Trough and down to the pit to see some friends who were tailgating. Caleb asked me several times to show him where Big Red lives because he has a book about Big Red going to college. We stood right on the walkway as the football team made their way from their buses to the Broyles Center.  We were standing by some cheerleaders and they were so sweet to Caleb, even gathering around him for a picture. 
After the walk-through, we made our way up Razorback Rd to see Aunt Harolyn and Uncle Poppie at a tailgate party. 
We got into the stadium in plenty of time for all of the pre-game festivities and Caleb stood there in awe as the band played, the Hogs took the field and everyone cheered.  He was pretty reserved until the second quarter, but started to come out of his shell just before halftime.  He was excited to get stadium snacks, including a giant pretzel, a hot dog, a gatorade and some popcorn.
 I thoroughly enjoyed having my little guy with me at an event that I love so much.  Unfortunately, the weather didn't hold through the whole game.  There was a major storm that came through, causing the stadium to be evacuated twice.  We took shelter in the concourse with everyone else until we finally got in touch with Rudy's co-worker Richard, who met us to take us up to the indoor box where they were sitting.  We watched the rest of the game, including a second evacuation from the comfort of the box.  Caleb loved that.  He made himself right at home in front of the window, cheering and having himself another hot dog.  When the game was over, it was still raining.  Richard and Ginny drove us to our car and we headed straight for home.  We were worn out.

 I wouldn't trade 10/13/10 for anything in the world.  I took my big boy to see his first Razorback football game, watched him call the Hogs with the best of 'em and, to top it all off - we beat Ole Miss.  I look forward to taking Caleb to the games with us next year. 

No comments: