Sunday, August 17, 2008

It's here...whether we're ready or not.

School starts tomorrow. Actual children will be filling the actual seats in the actual classrooms. Wow. Where did the summer go? As I write this, Caleb is sleeping and Rudy is ironing his clothes for tomorrow. I still haven't picked out my clothes and will likely wait until morning to do so. I have to be there at 7:00, though - so I may need to rethink that idea.

Last week flew by. Caleb did GREAT at daycare. He even had two accident-free days. Rudy and I had a variety of in-service days to attend. He had 3 nights of obligations and I had one. On Thursday night, we were both required to be at work stuff, so Caleb spent a couple of hours with our neighbors (Thanks, Shalini!) and reportedly was well-behaved.

Rudy took Caleb over to Grandma Voise's house on Friday night because I was supposed to have a crop night. That ended up falling apart, but I enjoyed the couple of hours of quiet anyway. Yesterday was great - we stayed home without any obligations. Rudy mowed the yard and I stayed in my PJ's until almost 4:00! We had a great dinner, thanks to Chef Rudy, and then went out for ice cream.

I haven't felt so hot today, so Rudy has taken the lead with Caleb. We went to dinner at the Harpers' house tonight with all of the Fayetteville band staff. I'm feeling better tonight and hoping to be 100% tomorrow.

Caleb's first full week back at daycare sent him full-force into learning mode. He has made huge strides this week in his language. Thursday night, there was a big thunderstorm that scared Caleb during the night. I went to get him from his bed and he said, "I wake up. What that?" I told him it was a thunderstorm, so he could sleep with me. He gladly climbed in bed with me and then at the next clap of thunder, he said, "No thunderstorm! No scare Caleb!" Yesterday, we were cleaning up his dinosaurs in the living room and he started counting them. He usually says "1-2-1-2", but yesterday he said, "1-2-4-5-6-7-8-9!" I'm not sure what happened to "three", but I was blown away by the other numbers, so I didn't worry too much about it! At lunch yesterday, he told me his peanut butter sandwich was "de-dishous" (delicious), which sent me into a fit of laughter! He has also recently started to sing along with us to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (AKA: baseball game song) and the Razorback fight song (AKA: football game song). I'm trying to get a video of it because it's so funny, but so far I haven't had any luck. According to Caleb, the baseball lyrics go something like this:
"Take me out to ballgame, take me out to ballgame, buy peanuts cacka jacks, ah ah ah ah get back, Woot woo woo for Tardnals (Cardinals), no win it shame, 1-2-1-2 out at the ballgame."

He needs a little more help with the fight song, but yesterday we heard him singing to himself, "hit wine, hit wine, going going, Go Bee-duh-bats (Razorbacks)!"

Big plans for next weekend: We're going to see Sesame Street Live in Fort Smith! Of course, Caleb doesn't really know what that means yet. I showed him the picture in the newspaper of the characters, though and told him that we're going to meet Elmo. He said, "yeah." Yesterday, he was talking to LaLa on the phone and I told him to tell her who we were going to see. He looked at me like I was crazy, so I handed him the picture and he started trying to tell her the characters' names so fast that he actually started to stutter. He couldn't even get the words out because he was so excited. Mom and I both commented that it's the first time we've ever seen him have trouble getting his words out because his brain was working faster than his mouth could produce the words. He eventually named them all: Elmo, JoJo (Grover), Big Bird, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Baby Bear, etc. Next Friday will be a BIG event in his little 2-year-old life. The only thing that would amaze him more would be meeting the Wonder Pets!

No comments: