Sunday, August 10, 2008

Caleb's New School

Caleb started his new school on Wednesday, August 6th. I dropped him off at 8:00 in the morning. He was excited all the way there, saying, "My kool, my kool, new friends" over and over. When we walked in, he was fine. When I tried to walk out, he was not. He cried and cried and sobbed. Mrs. Elizabeth held him and let him watch out the window while I went to the car. I could hear him crying all the way there. I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. I went to Wal Mart to get groceries and a guilt-toy for Caleb. I walked through the store in a daze. I remember talking to mom and looking for the 1% milk, but the rest of the trip was a completely surreal experience. When I got in the car, I called the school. The receptionist told me that she had just been in the room and that Caleb was doing fine and playing well with the other children. I felt 1000 times better and decided to go shopping for some back-to-school clothes. When I picked Caleb up at 4:00, he was excited to see me, but I could tell that he was comfortable in his new spot. Mrs. Elizabeth told me that he was a good boy and did very well on his first day. He even managed to go all day without an accident! As we were leaving, he looked out at the front lawn of the church and told me "I run outside and play with friends." I was content.

I just knew Thursday morning would be better. After all - he enjoyed himself on Wednesday AND they had a field trip to the drive-through safari planned. We talked all about it and he agreed that he wouldn't be sad because Mama would be back to pick him up in the afternoon. Well, change of plans. When we got there, I found out that if we get there before 7:30, he has to go to a different room until his teacher gets there. This was a whole different ballgame for Caleb and he cried all over again. I had to leave to go to my new teacher meeting, so I (again) left there in a daze and cried all the way to the car. As I was sitting in my meetings, I heard thunder. I immediately wondered if they would go ahead with the field trip, but trusted that they would make the right decision. Shortly after that, my phone rang. It was someone from the daycare calling to say that the field trip had been amended and they were going to Fun City. I knew Caleb would love that, but that he would be disappointed to not get to see the animals. When I picked him up on Thursday afternoon, Mrs. Elizabeth couldn't wait to tell me that Caleb had made a friend. Apparently, while at Fun City, Caleb paired up with a little girl named Adelaide. They walked all over Fun City holding hands and played together the whole time. When they got back, Mrs. Elizabeth asked all of the kids what their favorite part was. Adelaide said, "Caleb." Caleb said, "Slides."

On Friday, I dropped him off while the other kids were eating breakfast. Caleb sat down in his chair and started to eat, but as I left, he jumped up and said, "Wait for me!" I wanted to melt right there. Fortunately, Mrs. Elizabeth picked him up and distracted him while I left. The tears were a little better that day. When I picked him up that afternoon, he excitedly told me about their splash day outside. Mrs. Elizabeth told me that he had had an accident that day - his first since starting there, but that it wasn't a big deal. He has really loved getting to stand up at the potty since they have short potties that he can reach. Apparently, he needed to poop at lunchtime and he just didn't tell anyone. She said that he kept getting up from his chair, but he never said anything. He really has been proud of himself for having dry pants at school and we've only had one accident at home all week. I call that success!

This morning, we went to church where Caleb goes to school. I think that was a little confusing for him, but he did fine in the nursery. He cried a little when we left, but was standing at the window with his backpack when we came to get him. He said he had fun.

I'm pleased with the child care facility. I don't like that I have to take him. I don't like that he has to go to daycare. I'd rather be at home with him, but that's not possible for us. That's not even an option, so I feel like we have a safe, clean and loving environment for him and that's the best we can do. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow morning or any morning after that, but I know that someday I'm going to drop him off and he's not going to cry. I know that someday it won't be daycare, it'll be kindergarten and then middle school and then high school. Someday I'll be dropping him off at college and I'll look back and wish that he wanted me there like he wants me at daycare. For now, I just relish the afternoon hugs and the excited look on his face when he sees me in the window, drops what he's doing and runs to me yelling, "Mama, My Mama!"

No comments: