Thursday, June 19, 2008

This Week at the Villines House

So much has happened at the Villines house this week! Let me begin at the beginning...


Sunday was Father's Day. That being said, I have to take a minute to pay a little respect to Rudy. I could not possibly ask for a better father for Caleb. Rudy is completely involved in every detail of Caleb's life. One of my favorite things to do is sit back and watch the two of them play and interact together. Sometimes it's overwhelming that God must love me so much that he gave me these two amazing people to share my life with.


While I'm on the subject of Father's Day, let me also say that we as a family are blessed with amazing men in our lives. Mr. L., Poppie, Pepapa and Grandpa Morris are the giants in Caleb's life who will create memories for him that cannot be replaced. This year, we also lost one of our grandfathers. Grandpa Voise died on Easter Sunday. I am so glad that Caleb had a chance to be with him. We have photographs of the two of them together that will be cherished forever. Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the impact of my father, Rudy's father and Rudy's stepfather, all of whom have gone before us to be with God. We are who we are because they helped shape our lives.


Even though Sunday was Father's Day, Rudy didn't get to take it easy. I absolutely had to go do some shopping on Sunday because I had nothing to wear to a June job interview! We did, however, take him out to dinner Sunday night and he enjoyed the previous two days playing 36 holes of golf!


On Monday morning, I had an interview in Rogers. It was a little strange, though, because I worked there before and I have a very casual relationship with Linda, the SLP supervisor. It ended up being one of the more enjoyable interviews I've ever had. After the interview, Linda and I went over to the school so that I could meet the principal and get the lay of the land. Linda told me that she would be recommending me for the job and I would be hearing from the HR director about the final interview, etc. I came home exhausted, but excited.


While I was gone to my interview, Rudy took Caleb to Gymboree. He said that it went well, but that it definitely was not his cup of tea. I'll do my best not to ask him to go again. :) Monday afternoon, we went to look at a new daycare for Caleb in the event that I did get the job in Rogers. We toured a new daycare at the First Nazarene Church called "His House." The facility is very nice and has a lot of great safety features. It is literally a mile and half from our house. We're planning on enrolling him there for the fall. After that, we went to Home Depot to buy a ceiling fan and glider for our back porch.


Tuesday was Rudy's day off. Unfortunately, it wasn't my finest moment in parenting. I didn't sleep well the night before and woke up exhausted and cranky. My patience wasn't stellar and the morning was pretty much a wash for Caleb and me. We watched a lot of TV and pretty much tried to stay out of each other's way. Rudy came home early and ended up spending his day off doing odd jobs around the house. He hung the ceiling fan on the porch and mowed the yard. He really needs to learn to take better advantage of his Tuesdays!


I was supposed to play Bunco on Tuesday night, but ended up cancelling because we found out that we were going to have houseguests. Chad and Ronni Fellers and their kids came up and spent the night because they had an adoption hearing the following morning in Fayetteville. They didn't get to our house until well after 9:00 and we ended up sitting up visiting for a while before we all turned in.


I got up on Wednesday morning and hit the ground running. I had my follow-up interview with the Rogers HR director at 9:00. Caleb and Rudy went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast while I went to my interview. By 9:15, my interview was over and I was officially re-employed by the Rogers Public Schools. I'm really excited about my new job, even though it's different from what I've been doing for the past 6 years. Switching from early childhood to elementary school is going to be quite a paradigm shift, but I'll manage. I know for a fact that I'll have lots of support from Linda and the other SLP's in the district. I'm just excited to be back in Rogers where I started!


After my interview, I ran some errands and then came home to clean all of my personal information off of the laptop that I had been given for my job in Bentonville. Once that was done, I went to turn in my letter of resignation. I truly appreciated the opportunity that Bentonville gave me to come back to Arkansas last year. It just wasn't a good fit for me for several reasons. There's no need to go into those here. Just suffice it to say that this is going to be a good change.


Last night, Rudy grilled salmon for our dinner and we all enjoyed celebrating my new job! After dinner, we went to our first Northwest Arkansas Naturals baseball game. We had a wonderful time! Shortly after we got there, we pointed out "Strike" the mascot to Caleb. He was very intrigued by that and kept asking us, "Where Strike go?" over and over. Finally, I could see that Strike was in the concourse, so I took Caleb to meet Strike. He wasn't so sure about it after that. I did manage to get a picture, but the look on Caleb's face tells the whole story!


After that, he didn't ask about Strike too much. In the middle of the game, we moved to some seats that were right behind a railing and had a little more room for Caleb to move around. He loved it. He stuck his little face between the rails and yelled, "Go Baseball!" over and over. Everyone around us was cracking up. Then, he decided he would dance to the music on the loudspeaker and pretty much put on a show. He talked about baseball all the way home. He even got up this morning and wanted to wear his baseball hat. He also insisted that Rudy wear one too.

Today was my day off. Unlike Rudy, I took full advantage of it. I met Leslie at Signed Sealed Delivered and cropped all afternoon. I came home to a dinner of Rudy's famous hamburgers and then we all went outside for a while before Caleb's bathtime. While I was cropping, Rudy and Caleb went to see Grandma Voise for a while and then came back here for naptime and a trip to the pool.

So, you see, it has been a busy week for us. And, in the midst of it all, we are still potty training. Rudy and I have both been amazed at how quickly Caleb has caught on. He didn't have any accidents at all again today. If we can just get him to tell us when he needs to go, rather than waiting for us to tell him it's time to go - we'll be in business.

Tomorrow brings another day of summertime. I need to go get my personal materials from the office at Bentonville. We're going to enroll Caleb at the daycare and we may even go say goodbye to the people at Pine Crest. We don't really have any plans other than that. I love that about summer.

No comments: