Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tornado

We went to dinner at Rudy's grandmother's house last Saturday night. It was a gorgeous evening. We were sitting outside before dinner, enjoying the cool temperatures and the breeze. All of a sudden, the tornado siren went off. I scooped up Caleb and made a run for the walk-in closet. Everyone else followed us inside and stopped at the TV to see what the fuss was all about. Come to find out there was a tornado in Benton County. It wasn't really close to Grandma's house, but we stayed in the closet to be on the safe side. Rudy was in the bedroom, watching the TV and giving me updates. I got a little anxious when he said the storm was about a mile or two from our house. Once the threat passed, a little hail fell and that was all that we saw of the storm. Unfortunately, not everyone was so lucky. Come to find out, Caleb's daycare was hit by a tornado. It was a pretty small tornado, but did some significant damage to the daycare and the area around it. We got a call on Sunday that Pine Crest would be closed until at least noon on Tuesday. Rudy decided to take off work on Monday to stay with Caleb. They had a great day ~ playing, going to Fayetteville to hear the band in one of Rudy's classes and they even came to have lunch with me. On Tuesday, Caleb stayed with my friend Heidi who lives nearby. She's a stay-at-home mom of one of the kids that I see for therapy. She was so awesome to agree to keep Caleb. I dropped him off at her house at 8:00 on Tuesday. When I picked him up at almost 4:00, they were playing in the driveway and enjoying the beautiful weather. Heidi said that Caleb was super-easy to take care of. I was glad to hear that. I was afraid he would show the true 2-year-old side that we're seeing more and more of.

Caleb went back to daycare on Wednesday. The school still has some damage, but the toddler wind has been determined to be safe. Whew!

No comments: