Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Baby Boogie, Amoxicillin and a New Cousin

We've had a tough week around here. Caleb hasn't been feeling so hot and just hasn't been himself. That means he's only smiling and laughing about 80% of the time instead of 90%. I guess that's not so bad, but we kind of like him the way he usually is. Since Caleb's doctor appointment last Monday, he's been pretty sluggish and his eyes have been watering a lot. He also has a nagging dry cough and has been spitting up pretty frequently. I tried to tell myself that it was either seasonal allergies or a mild reaction to the shots last week, but it just wouldn't stop. Last night, Caleb went to bed as usual - about 8:30 or 9:00. At 12:20, he woke up crying and sounded like he was miserable. I went into his room to try to put his pacifier in his mouth and rub his head, but he just wouldn't go back to sleep. In my exhausted stupor, I threw in the towel and picked him up. I walked around his room for a while, but he just couldn't be consoled. So, I caved again - the second time in 2 weeks - and took him to bed with me. We both slept off and on all night, but I was completely exhausted all day today. I honestly can't believe I'm still awake now at 10:00. I went ahead and sent Caleb to Carrie's, but called the doctor's office when I got to work. They suggested that I go ahead and bring him in. Fortunately, my schedule allowed me to do that, so I went to get Caleb and take him straight to the doctor. When we got there, I explained his symptoms to Dr. Koenig. He checked for an ear infection and listened to his chest. He said that there really isn't much way to tell the difference between a cold and a sinus infection in babies, other than the length of time that it sticks around. Since Caleb has had symptoms for over a week, he said it was more than likely a sinus infection and wrote a prescription for Amoxicillin. I stopped at Walgreen's on my way back to Carrie's and got it filled. As soon as I smelled it, I was instantly taken back to my childhood. I used to LOVE that stuff!!! We gave him 2 doses today and he seems to be feeling a little bit better - though that may be all in my head. At least he ate tonight and went to bed like normal. Now, we'll see if he stays asleep.

After school, he seemed to be in pretty good spirits, so we kept our plans to go to the Baby Boogie workshop at the Parkway Early Childhood Center. Caleb was amazed to see so many other "little people" in the room. We enjoyed watching the different ages interact with each other and we enjoyed learning some new songs and fun things to play with Caleb. He wasn't too thrilled with the music. It's nothing new for him - we sing to him all the time, so he's used to it. After the workshop, we stayed and played with some of the baby toys for a while. He loved the mirrors the most. That baby that looks back at him in the mirror is just so doggone cute! Who wouldn't love to look at him?

Caleb and I are going to Fayetteville this weekend. My mom is meeting us there and is going to keep Caleb while Leslie and I go to the football game. It should be a fun weekend and I am looking forward to it. Rudy can't go with us, though, because the band has its first marching contest.

Monday was happy day for our family. At 4:17 AM, my cousin Becca gave birth to an 8 lb, 12 oz baby boy named James Maddox Spencer. Maddox is super cute and Becca is doing great. They went home from the hospital today and all is well. I can't wait to introduce "the boys" and watch them grow up together. Hopefully, they will be as close as Becca and I are. Welcome to the world, Baby Maddox!

No comments: