Monday, October 2, 2006

Carrots and Raspberries

I can't believe I haven't posted anything in 12 days! Let me try to remember what all has happened...

Caleb and I made our first solo roadtrip on September 22nd. We met Mom in Fayetteville and had a great weekend! On Friday, we hit the road as soon as possible and unknowingly drove through a tornado warning on the way down there. The drive wasn't too bad until we actually got to Arkansas, though. We were less than 20 miles from the hotel and traffic came to a standstill. Come to find out, there were power lines down on the interstate. That added about 45 minutes to our trip, but we made it. By the time we got to the hotel, I was completely worn out. Mom was excited to see Caleb (and me) and we caught up quickly and then hit the bed. On Saturday, Leslie came to pick me up and we went to the football game. It was a crazy game and I was tired again when it was over. I went back to the hotel and we were lazy all night. We ordered in and just laid around. Mom told me all about her day with Caleb. They went shopping and watched the ballgame on TV. On Sunday, we packed up and headed home. The trip home was a lot smoother than the trip down there! Caleb was a good travel buddy!

The Monday after we got home, I decided it was finally time to tackle the cereal experience. We got everything ready and crossed our fingers and offered Caleb a spoonful of rice cereal. He took to it pretty quickly and even tried to "help" get the spoon to his mouth. Oh, boy! That was the 25th and now we're on to carrots! Tonight was the first trial with something that actually had some taste to it. He LOVED them! He ate about half of the bowl. Actually, he hate less than that and wore a whole lot of it. I still haven't figured out how it got behind his ear! He was thrilled when he realized that he could blow raspberries with carrots in his mouth. I was not nearly as thrilled, but got a little tickled by the whole thing anyway. It was just so stinkin' cute! Caleb still tries to help and loves to chew on the spoon. There are pictures of the cereal experience on the Shutterfly site and a video on DropShots. I'll put some carrot pictures on soon. We can see the beginnings of a couple of teeth coming in. Oddly, they are not in the front of his mouth - more to the side. He chews on anything and everything he can get in his mouth, especially our fingers. He hasn't been too fussy, but just doesn't seem to be himself. We've had to give him Tylenol a couple of times and that seems to help. He doesn't really like the cold teething rings, but will chew on them once they warm up a little.

This past Friday night, Jenny and I took Caleb to the Summit football game and then out to eat. On Saturday, Caleb had a Daddy Day! They had a fun day together while I went to an all day scrapbook crop. Rudy took Caleb to a marching contest, but it was a little loud for him, so they left. Saturday night, they went to see Jerry, Sherry and Rebecca and had dinner with them. On Sunday, Rudy played his trumpet at church. I thought Caleb would be okay in the sanctuary, but he decided that the middle of the sermon would be a good time to "talk" to everyone around us. I took him back into the cry room and we finished the service there. Sunday night, I went to the grocery store and Rudy bravely tackled the task of giving Caleb a bath by himself. He did a great job! He's an awesome Daddy!

This weekend, we're going to Sherwood to spend the weekend with my grandparents. Memmie is turning 80 on Saturday and the best gift I can offer her is a visit from Caleb. What could be better?!? Rudy is taking the band to Tulsa for a marching contest, so it'll just be Caleb and me. We're flying down there on Friday night and coming back on Sunday evening. Should be a fun trip. I'm just trying to figure out how to pack everything!

No comments: