Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sweet Summertime!

Cue the Jimmy Buffett tunes, pour me a glass of lemonade and pass the SPF 30 – it’s finally summer!  After a ridiculous 10 snow days this year put my last day of work at June 8th, summer couldn’t get here fast enough. 
I left the kids in daycare until Friday, the 10th, because I had some things that needed to be done.  Rudy was still working until noon on Saturday (he had a crazy band thing!).  I took the kids in on Thursday and rushed to the hospital only to find out that the mammogram that I thought was scheduled for Thursday was actually scheduled for Friday.  I was also supposed to have had a hair appointment on Thursday, but the stylist cancelled it because she was sick.  Hmmm…things were not off to a rousing start.  I took advantage of the free time and went shopping for our trip to Florida.  I bought myself some clothes and stocked us up for a few days away from home.  Friday was much more productive.  I had my first mammogram (not as bad as I expected, but still…) and went for a scheduled visit with my doctor.  After that, I had a wonderful outdoor lunch all by myself and then moseyed over to the spa for a mani/pedi & brow wax.  I had a gift certificate from Christmas for $100.  My bill?  $100.  That’s a beautiful thing.  After that, I started to panic about the state of my hair right before vacation.  I did some asking around and found a great person to color my hair at the last minute.  Whew – maintenance is difficult at 34!  Smile

On Saturday, Rudy worked in the morning, then met us for Caleb’s last T-ball game.  Caleb got to play first base and did a great job!  I spent Saturday evening doing some heavy duty packing.  I managed to get pretty much everything packed so that we could load up and go on Sunday.

Sunday morning I had to meet someone at church at 9:45 to get some information, then we were on the road!  The car was loaded to the gills, but we were headed down the mountain.  We stopped in Alma to eat lunch and then cruised on down the highway to Hot Springs.  LaLa and Pops were waiting for us when we got there.  Caleb jumped out of the car literally squealing with excitement!  We spent the afternoon on the lake trying out the new tube that Pops bought for Caleb.  Jimmy and Kim came over by boat to watch Caleb’s first try on the tube.  He LOVED it.  First, he rode with Rudy and then it was my turn.  I wasn’t so sure about it, but I’ll do things for my kids that I wouldn’t do otherwise.  Caleb and I rode the tube all the way to Aunt Harolyn’s house!  When we got there, we swam for a while in her pool.  Nola loved the pool.  She may be my waterbaby after all.  She’s definitely going to be the more adventurous of the two kids!  We boated back home, had dinner and went to bed pretty early. 
It was the beginning of a wonderfully sweet summertime…

No comments: