Sunday, October 3, 2010

What About Caleb?

Nola has consumed so much of our time lately by being sick that I haven't had much to post about Caleb.  That doesn't mean that he's not still keeping us on our toes! 

Caleb is REALLY into bugs and animals right now.  He loves to watch "wild animals" on National Geographic Wild and collect any kind of living thing in the backyard.  There is a toad out there that must be traumatized by now.

The little guy has been a real trooper while Nola has been sick.  He has been patient on the nights that nobody has the energy to give him the attention that he wants and needs.  He worries about her when she's crying and he tries to comfort her.  It's really sweet.  We have noticed a little more whining than usual, but he's doing okay.

One night last week, I left my calendar at work and needed to go get it.  I took Caleb with me.  He was enthralled with the "big school."  He was so excited to go to the school where he will go to kindergarten.  He asked me if the big flag pole outside was where he would get to say the Pledge of Allegiance.  After we left my office, I showed him the library.  I told him it was time to leave and he said, "Hold on.  I'm looking around."  He was absolutely amazed.  He also liked the cafeteria and wanted to know what the stage was for.  I tried to show him a kindergarten classroom, but they were all locked up.  He came home excited about his school and now he wants to know when he can go there again.  Love it!

Caleb's new school skill is rhyming.  He doesn't really understand it, but he knows that the words sound alike.  He likes to come up with rhymes all the time.  He'll say, "jack-pack, they both say pack."  Not quite...but close!  He knows all of his letters and the sounds that they make and he's learning numbers too.  He can write letters and write his name, even though it's not always in the right order.

The boys across the street have been coming over to play a lot lately.  They know that Caleb is too young to go out by himself, so they come over and play with him in the backyard.  I love to watch him out there with the other kids - even if they are older than him.  He has no idea that he's not just as big as they are.  We even had our first doorbell moment the other day:  "Can Caleb come out to play?"  I couldn't believe we've reached that point already!

We still get some Calebisms now and then, even though they aren't as frequent as they used to be.  One of my favorites lately was, "Mama, we did something so cool at school today!  We had a potato drill!"  Come to find out, that's when the kids go into the bathroom and cover their heads in case there is bad weather...you know - a TORNADO drill. 

No comments: